257 Roberts

Bacova,

I have two rifles chambered in 257 Roberts. One is for Deer hunting and the other is set up for Coyotes.
When I got the one for Deer hunting, I e-mailed John Barsness who writes for Wolf Magazines and is editor of their Successful Hunter magazine. He's a 257 Rogerts loony too. He advised using 45 grains of H-4350 with the 100 grain bullets I wanted to use. I loaded some up and went to the range. The first three shots out of the barrel went into a 1/2" group at 100 yards using a 4x scope. I did no more testing as that is more than good enough for Northern Michigan Deer hunting. I would try that load too, if you have a good strong bolt action rifle.
The other rifle shoots 75 grain Hornady's with 44 grains of H-380, which meters well through the measure. It also shoots very well out of my Varmint 257. That load is more accurate than the 100 grain load for the Deer rifle.
The Deer rifle is a Ruger Model 77 and the other is a custom rifle on a Rem 700 Short action.
My Step Dad had a Custom 257 Roberts built right after returning from WW II. His best load with 100 grain bullets was with IMR 4064, somewhere around 36 to 38 grains IIRC.
I seat my bullets .010 off the lands.

Martyn

Last edited:
I use 46-H4350 with the 100 gr. bullets for just over 3000 fps in my 22" barrels. 44 gr. with the 115-117 bullets. For the 75's I've had best luck with 44gr. H4895 at about 3500 fps. These loads have worked in 3 different barrels so far. Ramshot Hunter works well with the 100 and 115s at about the same charge wts. as H4350. Most load manuals hold pressure down in the 48K area, with the Ruger or Rem. 700 you can safely move up to modern pressures.

Thanks for the info guys. I've always wanted a Bob, a couple weeks ago I broke down and ordered one of the new Ruger M77 Hawkeyes in 257 Roberts. I like Ruger rifles, I own four #1s and have loaded for several friend's M77s. Every one I've ever messed with compared nicely to Rems and Wins. I said "what the heck? I'll kill two birds with one stone." A Ruger bolt action and a 257 Roberts to boot. I feel like it'll make a nice little carry rifle when I'm wheezing around in the mountains. A 'yote rifle as well as a nice lightweight Deer rifle for moderate ranges. Much easier to lug than a 9 or 10 lb #1, scope included. I found a closeout deal last week on a Nikon Monarch 3 x 9 x 40 for $199 so I bought that to mount on it. Should give me about a 7.5 lb outfit when I'm done.

I'm a 25 cal fan too, owning a couple 25-06s and a 25wssm in the past. Didn't like the wssm though, let it go after about a year. I feel like the Bob will be a nice addition to my arsenal.

Thanks again for the input. Anyone else have anything to add?

Bacova

P.S...I just found an unopened pound of H-4350 over my bench. Imagine that, I must have known it'd come in handy, LOL, don't believe I've used it before.

bacova...good for you...i to recently aquired a 257 bob...i had a thread going it's now several page's back...lot's "o' folk's provided some good information...

70 gr. Starke's with W-748 are my favorite varmint combo.

90 gr. Sierras go well with H-4350

WW +P brass, CCI primers.

Dont have the exact load data at hand right now.

Enjoy the Bob

Back