Shotgun BB shot?

d2admin

Administrator
I am heading out tomorrow with my new 12 gauge, and I was wondering what most guys use. I will be shooting some 3 inch steel bb shot, that is supposed to fly out at about 1600fps. I will also have my modified choke in. Will this destroy a coyote?

Thanks

Skippy.. In my opinion..I would suggest maybe BB's in lead, or buck shot..I don't think steel BB's have enough killing power, but I could be wrong!!! AL

If you have patterned your shotgun and know how it shoots this load. I don't see how it couldn't be hard on a coyote.

Hey skippy, I dont think I would use that steel shot on a coyote. It isnt heavy enough to get much penetration on a coyote past 25 yards. In Arkansas, unless its deer season, we cant be out in the woods with ANY buckshot at all, but when its deer season I use 3 inch no 4 buck. If you cant use buckshot, you might look into some larger lead loads, or hevishot. Hevishot has a fairly new load out called "dead coyote." Just find some no 2 lead or hevishot, or some BB or BBB. Just dont think steel would give you enough penetration.

Interesting

I guess what I will do is head out and try shooting at some different targets later on. I also have some 2 3/4 inch lead no 2. I will try to shoot some of those at some targets.

As for buckshot, there isn't any in town, for I live in a town of about 3,500. On my next big trip into a larger town I will pick up something with a bit more punch.

Any size shot will kill a coyote it depends on the distance to the critter, I can kill a coyote with a 410 and 9 shot at five feet so like Alan said if thats all you have call them in real close. Twenty five yard would be the max, twenty would be better. Last year my partner had a coyot come out of the sagebrush at his side and jump over his streched out legs he would have preferred a 3 in mag bb than the scoped 22-250 he had.

AWS

Skippy, If you are going to do some test shots. I would try some with full choke if you have this barrel. The full choke will or should hold a tighter pattern further out. But this will also mean that you will have to aim and not shoot from the hip, LOL

I wish I had a full choke, but like I said the shotgun was a gift from my girlfriend, and that was pretty cool. I do plan on buying a full choke when I head into town in a week or two. It does have a 28 inch barrel though.

skip

I killed this Coyote at about 30 yards with # 5 Hevi-shot and it went right down. Super 90 3.5 inch x-full Cabela Choke.

coy1.jpg

Cool

I will try and buy some of this hevi shot. I am also practicing my new crow and raven call to help my shotgun skills.

I have only shot one coyote with a shotgun it was a 12 gauge with a full choke and 3" Lead BB's. The coyote was about 35 yards away when I shot and he died so dead it amazed me! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif It actually was not that hard on the hide either.

Back