Remington 700 Classic in 221 Fireball?

d2admin

Administrator
I have found a brand new, in box, Remington Model 700 Classic, chambered in 221 Fireball. I checked the Remington website and it stated that this was the chambering for 2002. Does anyone own one of these and what are your thoughts? I have been looking at the 221 Fireball cartridge for a while and I’m wondering if this rifle would be a good choice. There aren’t many particulars about the Model 700 Classic listed on the website.

Grousesetter

Grousesetter

I looked at these when they came out and decided to pass up the wholesale price of $485 because I just didn't need another gun. I kept reading about the .221 and decided that I had to have one. By that time, the wholesalers were out of stock and I ended up getting a “new in the box” over the internet for $535. Can't complain too much about that price. While I was expecting one hole (I always expect that) I was getting .4 to .5 and this was after installing a Jewell trigger. These groups were after the first 100 rounds and by that amount of shots the barrel should have been pretty well broken in. I opted for having it bedded and a Krieger barrel installed to replace the factory barrel. I ended up with just over $900 in the gun, but it does shoot.

I really like the .221 round. It is fairly quiet to shoot and accurate. If you don't mind .4 to .5 you can keep the factory barrel and keep the costs down. Also, your factory barrel might shoot better than mine. The factory trigger is just like most of the “new” factory triggers and will need some work or replacement to see what the gun will really do.

Hope this helps,

Hawk

grouse setter,
I have a remington 700 ls 221 fireball and really like. It was like everyone said and the trigger needed worked on but other than that it will shoot .5 or slightly better(three shot groups). If you want a cartridge with no recoil and low noise this is one of my favorites. Just my opinion.
Dink

If you can, take a good look at it before buying, esp. the chamber. I bought one when they came out. It shot well and I was pleased til I started reloading my once fired brass and noticed the funny marks on them. Turned out to have a badly chattermarked chamber. Sent it back, got another one. This one would not shoot like the first one, so it went back. Came back no better. Went back again. Still no luck, but at least remington tried to make me happy. Sent it to Mike Bryant for a Kreiger barrel and action work. Now I am happy with it, and like it alot. A good accurate rifle now.
Barry

A buddy of mine got one (new in box) a few weeks back. It was keyholing the bullets. Bad crown I guess. He didnt bother with fixing it, just gave it back to the dealer and got another gun.

Bought one 3 weeks ago, shoots nice groups & all I did was adjust trigger. Love the .221 chambering, very fun efficient round, with low noise & zero recoil. Will try her out this summer on some groundhogs. Makes a good walking varminter.

Long live the fireball!

HS
700classic221.JPG

Bought one about a month and a half ago and topped it with a Zeiss 4.5-14-44. I bought 3 boxes of factory ammo and went to the range. I was very pleased with the .575 - .800 groups. It's a real sweet shooter, and recoil is minimal.
I have done some reloading for it, however I'm not doing much better than the factory ammo so far. For me, those kinds of groups are hard to beat anyway.
I picked it up on www.gunsamerica.com for $525.00 shipped.
I would say this one is a keeper.

I have a 221 in the classic and it is one of the most accurate rifles I own,Besides my Bushmaster Varmint Special,I put a 8oz. rifle Basix trigger in it and it is awesome.With factory 50 grain V-Max it will do well under an inch at 100 yds.

Back