CCI 22 SGB ? ? ?

SavTxCajun

Any of you formilure with this round?

The CCI web site didn't give much on it.
FEATURES & BENEFITS:
Same velocity (1235 ft/sec) and trajectory as Mini-Mag™ 40 grain
No sight corrections needed within 50 yards
Special lead flat point bullet anchors small game better
Clean-burning propellants keep actions cleaner
Sure-fire CCI priming
Reusable plastic box with dispenser lid

Has anyone used these on racoon and maybe coyote with fine point of aim shots?

I've killed hundreds of tree squirrels, grays and fox, with the Small Game Bullet. It has been one of the most consistently accurate Long Rifle hunting loads I've run across. The SGB kills better with less meat destruction and blood shot than many of the regular high speed hollow point rounds I've used in the past. In theory it works much like the wide meplat hard cast handgun bullets. I wouldn't hesitate to take on coons with it at responsible ranges. Coyotes are really stretching the capabilities of the .22 LR. It can be done, but shot placement must be surgical and ranges short. No Long Rifle would be on my list of choice predator calling calibers.

SavTxCajun,
I will agree with GC on this cartridge NOT being on my list for large predators. :eek:

I used to shoot the CCI Small Game Bullet for a lot of small game critters and it would knock the snot out of all of them. However, to my knowledge, CCI doesn't make this bullet any more. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

The good news is that there is a tool available to make your own SGB bullets from regular round nosed bullets. I'm sure someone on Rimfire Central would know something about its' availability. www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

The tool for making the flat noses works well. Until you try it, it is hard to believe how much flattening the nose a bit increases killing power. Especially if you are using match(low velocity) ammo.

Jack

I want to thank you all very much for your answers on this. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I found a place this weekend that does sell them and as you've said I wouldn't want to take a coyote with one.

But IF the chance came up at 50 yards I would take the shot if one crossed my path. I do use the 243Win on Coyotes.

Good Hunt'n and God Bless.

CAJUN: you asked if anyone was familiar with the CCI SGB. i've hunted only forest grouse with it, but years ago (yes, it was made, then discontinued, and now is back on the market) i discovered that it was clearly the most accurate reasonably-priced ammo in both my rifle and handgun. i used it for competitive shooting (international handgun metallic silhouette association), and won a state championship in my classification with SGB. i've shot close to 10,000 rounds of it and have always been satisfied with it's reliability and, as mentioned earlier, it's accuracy in my guns.

rimfire 22's are notorious for being picky about which ammo they "like", so i'm not saying that SGB would also be accurate in your gun. a lot of trial-and-error is sometimes needed to find what works best.

Back