Young Shooters

claimbuster

About two years ago I had to have rotator cuff surgery, only to be followed by a second surgery on the same shoulder. However, that is not the story here.

The surgeon recommended a physical therapist to help with my followup treatment. I made an appointment to proceed. Wow, I met a beautiful young lady who shoots shotgun & rifle, hunts, is a competitive sporting clays shooter and was recently divorced. Now I know what you dirty minded old guys are thinking; however, she is not available. Here was the daughter I never had. She is the same age as my youngest daughter and shoots. My two girls are not shooters, just no interest. My son, yes, but marginal.

Here is a young lady who shoots and has three children that shoot as well. We went to Wyoming over this past weekend to help the young ones learn how to shoot PD's, something that they had, for the most part, never done. All three of them are incredible marksmen and were soon downing PD's at 250-300 yds. Wow! I think we have followers.

My wife expected the outcome, as she knows how much I enjoy helping young shooters.

It is our future.

The fact that I was out with a beautiful young lady is a bonus that warms an old man's heart.

I'm a young 57, you should have come and got me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Sounds like a great time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I tell you what Claimbuster, You can adopt me and we can go hunting. All you have to do is buy me .204 in AR platform. I need a new Ferarri and while your at you can buy me my very own house to live in while we are not hunting.

If you can do that I will be your son in no time! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Later,
Jerrett

Quote:
If you can do that I will be your son in no time! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Later,
Jerrett

Geez...and I thought MY kids were expensive!

Yup Claimbuster, shame on you for not posting some pix. My wife and I have been raising two grand daughters since they were one and two years old. There 13 and 14 now. Here's the oldest with her Christmas present last year. The smile pretty well says it all.

Robinwith1.jpg

Here they are at our local range after marking targets.

100_6108.jpg

And at the reloading bench.

Grandbabiesatbench.jpg

My son whom were helping raise these girls isn't much interested in shooting and hunting. I'm making up for his education with these two. They love hunting and shooting and both are looking to get a bigger deer this fall and kill more coyotes than grandpa.

The only thing we can pass on that really means anything can't be measured in dollar bills. It's the memories and the the values we teach to those youngsters.

Yes, shame on me for no photos. There were some moments that should have been captured. The older two, sister and younger brother, were using my larger shooting table with an umbrella, etc. They were reversing roles as shooter and spotter. Mom says they fight a lot, as typical brothers and sisters do. But not then. They were working together like a well practiced team. Spotter would call out the target and the shooter would fire. Every once and a while they would reverse and resume the practice. You would have thought by watching they had done it for years. Brother appeared to be captain of the team but you could never tell. I just watched with total enjoyment.

Youngest brother and mom made the other team and were using my smaller table. Youngest brother, at 13 y.o. is no slouch with a rifle. When he missed a shot I would ask where he pointed and he would tell me. If I thought a correction was necessary I would tell him and rarely did he miss a second shot. His long shot was a lasered 288 yds. Older sister had a lasered 311 yds. Of course mom was the one to beat. The previous day, just to show off, she nailed a rat at 100+ yds. shooting off-hand. (Truth be known, that's why I didn't shoot that much...afraid of embarrassing myself.)

Competition started as to which team would get the most rats by noon. Whenever a kill was made the team would yell out their updated total number. I was having to swap out rifles for the older two as they were getting barrels hot. They never experienced hot barrels before. I did get a chance to dig out the Swift and added three kills to the younger brother and mom team. Safety never was an issue, they had been well trained by their parents. Everything was going so well that I dug out a big comfortable folding chair and just relaxed and watched.

I would never tell anyone, other than my wife and you guys, but I think I was having more fun than they were.

Bob, you are right on target! "The only thing we can pass on that really means anything can't be measured in dollar bills. It's the memories and the the values we teach to those youngsters."

They are about to start school so a return engagement will have to be scheduled for next summer.

Jim,

I`m soooooooooooooooooo jealous!

Jerrett................back off man /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I`m potty trained,house broken and have my own gun`s and truck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Sorry bud had to be done...........I wanna go too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Phil.

Last edited:
Hey, IDBOB, by the looks of that Ruger #1, I think I would like to be on your Christmas shopping list next year. Wow, that is one beautiful rifle...very fitting for a beautiful young lady.

Those kids and their mom are coming over to the house in two weeks for BBQ brisket and an evening of reloading. I'm just learning how to smoke, meat that is, and so far I have have had tremendous results. We'll do a 7-9# brisket, whip on some home made BBQ sauce and pile on a little Carolina Cole Slaw. Then its off to the basement for some tool time. I'm going to have some followers here, even if it requires food.

You guys gotta' keep up the good work with these youngsters. They need education and advice and role models from us guys with a good compass not from the dunderheads from MTV or the NFL. Carry on.

Best regards,
chalmitch

Back