frog gig handle

Welcome to Predator Masters, Brian.

It's been decades, but as I recall the gigs we used when I was a kid were mostly just old shovel handles. Five feet long maybe?

Thanks for the replie nmleon i went as a kid also but now my father has passed on and my son is 7 years old and i want him to experience the same joys as i did with my father

I know ya ain't gonna believe this but I saw about a dozen frog gigs setting in a store about 3 weeks ago.
They all had handles about 4 1/2 feet long, like a push broom handle.
They were in a store near Al Khor, Qatar.
Now where they gig frogs, or anything else, in the desert is a whole nother question. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Roninrus1,
For the American GREEN frogs, the 4&1/2 foot handle would be fine for your gig. Canadian RED frogs require a bit different specifications. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Quote:
Roninrus1,
For the American GREEN frogs, the 4&1/2 foot handle would be fine for your gig. Canadian RED frogs require a bit different specifications. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

If it were me I'd be looking for a ten foot pole for Red frogs. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I use to put 6' of aluminum conduit in for the handle. Wrap some electrical tape around it for purchase and you are in business.

I perferred the handles a little longer because of my height and I used the handle to throw the snake outof the way when I ran across one.

Used to frog a little bayou that had a sharp drop about 3 feet to the water. Real grown up and only about 4-5 feet wide.
Two of us walked it shining the opposite side.
Then talked the other in on frogs we spotted.
Long handle to reach them.
When in the water 4 1/2-5" is fine.
Long handle works better from a boat but longer handles seem to magnify any fault in accuracy.

Used to frog a little bayou that had a sharp drop about 3 feet to the water. Real grown up and only about 4-5 feet wide.
Two of us walked it shining the opposite side.
Then talked the other in on frogs we spotted.
Long handle to reach them.
When in the water 4 1/2-5" is fine.
Long handle works better from a boat but longer handles seem to magnify any fault in accuracy.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Last edited:
Back