Snapper down (More pics added)

Born2BWild

I run a small snappin turle line, set the bait in the evening, check it in the morning. Well, this big girl was caught a little different than usual.

First off, let me tell you that you have to walk about 75 yrds in thigh deep water to get to the line. And so I get to my sets, all hooks are empty and one is completely gone. Something snapped one of the dropper lines. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Not good, so I start heading back. Its early and the water is crystal clear, and I see this big 'ol mama sittin on the bottom. I try to be sneaky but she saw me and took off, and now the chase is on. I pushed her towards shore, and she went under a down tree, but I sill managed to grab her thick reptile tail and yank her out.

Sure enough, there was a big 'ol hole in her mouth, from when she was hooked that night, but then broke my line. So it was a fun catch, more exciting than normal!

IMG_5350.jpg

B2BW

Last edited:
Way too much fun!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I sure miss the snappers. None in Alberta. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Thx guys, it was fun.

I wish I could find someone to sell them too. That would be nice. But no, we just eat 'em ourselves.

I've never been bitten by one, this guy niped my leg this morning, but it wasn't a real bit. More of a cut. But I'm sure I will one of these days. I really take my chances when I look for 'em in the boat and go dive in after them with the mask and snorkel.... not the smartest thing probably but hey, its a thrill!!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif What else matters!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

B2BW

Oh yea man, they taste like chicken!!!!! They are pretty tough to chew, but good. Lots of meat on one turtle though. You guys should try catchin 'em. We got too many up here, and they just kill the duck population. So I have no problem taken 'em out.

B2BW

I have speared one before with a broken fishing pole. I got it in the head. We have to shoot them at my uncles ranch because they eat all their fish. I have never eaten one but I might try one next time.

Banditbuster,

There are many ways to trap/catch them. Some people make these big ol nets, that are a pain to transport and even harder to find a spot to set it (as I'm told) So, I did it the way FUR-FISH-GAME magazine told me too. I don't know if you've ever ran a trout line or not, but a snapper line is the same concept. When I talk about lines, all of them need to be really strong. They break the line real easy.

I haven't been doing it for to long, but 30 pound test is too small. So I would say nothing under 50lbs test. Your main line will be 25-50 long, mine is 150lbs test. Your dropers are 6-14 inches long, no more than 6 dropers. Attach a heavy duty barrel swivel, saftey snap, and hook.

They tell you to use a 6/0 or 7/0 size hook. The biggest I could find is 5/0. Which I think is big enough. My line is set in knee high water, attached to a tree on shore. I was worried about them not being up this shallow, but the one I caught in the pic was in this deep of water. I would like to set it of the drop off, but boat traffic and anchoring it down would be a problem.

For bait, they say raw cow and chicken are the best. You can use night crawlers and things like that, but you may catch more fish than turtles that way. Me, I use inexpensive chicken livers. They are $1.65 and you get lots of bait in one bucket.

Bait it in the evening, check it in the morning. The eirlier, the better. Be carefull when you approch your line though, it may not be how you left it. And if you've got a turtle, be ready for it. They are scared of you until you've got 'em, then they are really aggresive and mean. So watch your toes and good luck!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

B2BW

Oh, if you could get ahold of that issue of FUR-FISH-GAME magazine, you can read the entire article and get more detail. Its the one with the fox on the front. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I will post pics of the dropers and their mechanics tomorrow.

Last edited:
I BELIEVE, but I'm not possitive if this is the right date, but I think its the AUGUST 07 issue. Like I said though, its the one with the red fox on the front, walkin on the bank of the river.

I'll get some pics up tomorrow.

B2BW

Ok guys, I'm showin some pics of my line. Banditbuster was asking about how it worked. And so I thought, what the heck, pictures are better than words.

Here is just a general picture of the overal length of the line. It is attached to a tree on shore. You can't see them, but I have 5 dropers hanging from the main line.

IMG_5380.jpg

Here is the droper. The barrel swivel, dropper line, saftey snap, and hook.

IMG_5377.jpg

IMG_5378.jpg

IMG_5379.jpg

And how it looks hanging off the main line.

IMG_5374.jpg

And its that simple. Like I said, on this line I have 5 dropers. 6ft appart.

I found this youngin hiding in the weeds on my way to the line. He just wanted to bite my head off!!!!! Even when they are that small, they still got a huge attitude! I just laughed at him, it probably wouldn't even hurt if he bit me. But he got let go, to small to keep.

IMG_5369.jpg

IMG_5370.jpg

B2BW

The was an article in Outdoor Life or Field and Stream that explained how use that same type of line system if you were lost/stranded for survival.

Thanks for the pics i think i am going to rig me up one of those. And I know what Fur-Fish-Game you found it in.
Thanks, Luke

Last edited:
Back