how to carry your shooting sticks ?

martyrd

guys i have a pole cat hunting bipod( the kind that attaches to your gun 36 inch to 62 inch ) they are removeable but how do you guys carry your shooting sticks in the field ? matter fact what do u carry all your stuff in when you go out calling ? in winter what about a 5 gallon white bucket ? i need away to carry this long bipod. also it would be great if some one sold a white turkey vest with the seat pad that is attached to the vest. marty

I carry my bi pod shooting sticks in my hand. It comes in very handy to stabilize myself on rough terrain. I also use it to move tight branches out of my way in thick cover. I have a waist pack with shoulder straps for all my gear. I could strap the sticks to the pack but like it for a walking stick. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I've gotten rid of a lot of stuff I use to carry in the field. I have the Stoney Point Explorer tripod that folds down to compact size.

I don't carry sticks if I'm shooting shotgun only.

I carry the tripod in one hand, my rifle or shotgun slung over my shoulder, on the other shoulder is my fold up stool. I carry a butt pad if hunting hilly country.

The stool has a compartment that I carry my foxpro in. I wear a small fanny pack which has a bottle of water and misc small items. Hand calls around my neck.

That's it for me, otherwise it takes me to long to get set up and I'm making to much noise.

I started out with to many gizmos and gadgets I thought would be used and was just a waste of time and money.

Most guys just carry a rifle or shotgun and a couple of hand calls and nothing more.

In fact if you watch most predator video's you see very little gear being carried by the shooter.

I do carry other items in my truck that I might need depending on the terrain I'm hunting that day.

Last edited:
I wear a backpack with a waist strap. I take my stoney point shooting sticks and unfold them to the shooting length and stick them in the waist band like a sword. I do this while varmint hunting also. When walking in the brush, I remove them to prevent snagging and use them as a walking stick. If I'm not toting a pack, I'll tuck the sticks in my belt or belt loop the same way. I keep them on the weak side so they don't bang on the gun and can be drawn while bringing the gun to the shoulder.

I also carry a backpack with a couple of straps that holds my polecat tripod. my thing is i drink a lot of water so i have to have the backpack to carry my camelbag. the tripod is a little hard to get out but not to bad it has not stoped me from shooting anything yet. and the only thing in my hand is my gun

Sticks in left hand.

Rifle slung over right shoulder or carried in the right hand, if I'm not traveling far.

If I'm walking 1/4 mile or more, the rifle's slung diagnolly over neck/shoulder from left shoulder to right hip.

Seat has a rifle sling attached, & is carried on left shoulder, if taking it.

Binos are hung out front from the Bino Buddy.

Gloves/mask/crit'r carrier are in cargo pockets on pants.
Calls are either on lanyard in coat pocket, or in fanny pack...depends on the calls size.

Extra ammo is on butt of rifle.

The amount of stuff taken to the stand depends on the stand location & what I feel I "Have To Have".

I use a Cabelas Tactical Tatr hunting vest to carry all my stuff. I carry extra hand calls, extended runtime battery for my electronic caller, shells, decoys, etc. The seat is very comfortable.

For shooting sticks I have the predator sticks... they come with a shoulder strap.

I have a shoulder strap for my electronic caller which allows for quick deployment.

burro.jpg

Seriously, it just depends. If I'm going to make a stand within a few hundred yards of the truck and then go back to it, I just carry my sticks and stool (strapped together) and the FX5 in my left hand, or if going a little further, strapped to my belt, and my rifle in my right hand or on my shoulder with a sling.

If I'm going to make a number of stands before going back to the truck, I'll generally take a pack with water etc and sometimes a shotgun too if I'm going into heavy cover country.

Most of the time when I hunt I try and hunt all day and carry all my stuff in a Maxpedition Pygmy backpack that is pretty small and easy to use. I have come to use a Snipepod that I really do like they are light as a feather and takes a second to install or take off, am convinced they helped me a bag a turkey with my shotgun last season.

5 gallon plastic bucket. If it won't fit in the bucket it stays home. The bucket serves as a seat once you are on stand.

I carry 2 guns on nearly every stand. I carry all my calls/caller/decoys/ect. in a small back pack. I carry my shooting sticks and guns in this case I fashioned.
guncase1.jpg

Thanks, I got tired of banging my guns together when they were both slung and forget about trying to carry out a dead coyote or two and 2 guns! The big strap slings across my shoulder with my right arm and head through it. I get to the truck and just put the case in the back, no caseing and uncaseing I just clear the chambers when I leave the stand and when I get to a new stand I load a round in as I open the case. Works great!

Shooting sticks come in handy when carrying them fully extended in rattlesnake country.

I learned this on a recent squirrel hunt!!!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif

I use a Nimrod Back Scabard and slide the sticks into the scabard with the rifle. My decoy is on a 4' pole so I can just stick it in a sage or berry bush to set it and use that for a walking stick also. Spare shells go in loops on the scabard and mouth calls, small flashlite, matchsafe and power bar go in a small zip pocket on the scabard. The bandit goes in a coat pocket,compass on a lanyard around my neck, spare one in my pocket, knife and water bottle on my belt.

I get to stand and stick the decoy in a bush and hang the bandit on the bush. I step back to where I'm going to sit and lay the scabard on the ground and have everything right there at my side, a very quick and quiet set up.

AWS

I couldn't find a seat I liked so I made one myself out of PVC.

I carry that, a homemade caller, shooting sticks in a holster on my hip and my rifle (Savage Model 12 LRPV). I use my pockets (army camo uniform) to the max - rangefinder and compact binos in my shirt pocket, water and power bar in thigh pockets. If I'm not looping back to the truck, I slip some toilet paper in my pocket (just in case).

Back