125 gr. 308 load?

jazzball

Does anyone know an accurate load for the 125 gr. Nos.BT in a 308 Model Seven Remington? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif I dont know if it will shoot well in a 1-10 twist barrel. Any advise will be appreciated!

My best 125 gr. load for my 308 Howa Thumbhole Supreme Varmint , 1 in 10 twist, is 125 gr. Nosler BT, Uniformed neck sized Win. cases, 45.4 gr IMR 4895, 2.707 OAL. This load shoots .650 3 shot groups at 100 meters. The Sierra book has it as the most accurte load at 2900 fps. I also noted low pressures, good case life, and mild recoil. This is the lightest .308 cal bullet I use. I really does a number on big jackrabbits and coyotes here in South Dakota. The 125 gr Sierra Spitzer works just as good for me.

A 1-10 twist is fast for a .308, it will have no problems with a light bullet and will stabilize up to 210 grains if you can get enough velocity.

50 grs. of H4350 worked well for me with 125gr Speer TNT. This load isnt veryfast, but it wont get overpressure and at 100yds it shoots great.

jazzball..Thanks for letting me jump in..I am also working up the same load...Butchlok?? Using the H-335 with the 125 Nosler bt & 125 TnT..How much would you use when using LC-75 brass?? I have lc-75 brass and haven't used any before..Don't want to over do it..I reloaded a few using 44g of 4064, but have not shot any yet?? Thanks

Thanks Mark...The speer book lists a max load of 48G of imr4064..With IMI brass..Is that military brass?? Or do you take 10% from the max?? The minimum calls for 44g...Do you still take 10% from the lowest load?? Sorry never used any military brass before and want to understand it first..

10% off of starting - work carefully up to 10% below max. (.25 - .50 gr increments in that small caliber). IMI = Israeli Military Industries (I believe). As I understand, their brass is very heavy, as is US Mil brass. My personal experiences with the Speer loads are that I need to back down due to elevation, temps, or whatever reason. Speer's max loads seem to be over pressure in many (not all) of my guns, because of reasons I have not ascertained.
Mark

Military brass is not always or even most times thicker than civilian brass. Fortunately, all you have to do to figure it out is weigh the brass. If it weighs more, it is thicker. If it weighs less, it is thinner. If it weighs about the same, it is about the same.

Jack

Thanks Jack..I checked the weight and found the lc75 adv 184g and the federal civi adv 164g. I don't have any imi the book is using, but 44g of 4064 is just under the neck. and it is their starting load just a little under 10% off the max of 48g...??

Back