Converting a 10/22 to a .17HM2

Thanks,so I need a new barrel,weight and heaver tensioned bolt spring and a .17HM2 bolt.You do know that this is for a semi-auto right?Also i'am new to this and how would I add weight to my existing bolt?Thanks.

Varmit,

Yes, I know it's a semi-auto. As for adding weight to the bolt there are many ways to go about it. I recommend just buying the Volquartsen bolt. It's the easiest and safest way to do the conversion (although it's not the cheapest.) One other option is to wait for Ruger to release a 10/17 in 17HM2.

I have not tryed this but, using a charging handle spring from a 10/22 Magnum might just do the trick. Also remember I'm not responsible for any damage to you or your firearm.

Hope this helps.

So I can just take any .17HM2 bolt and put it into the 10/22 and add a new barrel?I also read that all you need is a barrel swap is this true?

Varmit,

Using a Mach2 bolt with a LR barrel would most likely cause extraction problems. Since the LR cartridge doesn't create as much 'reward force' to the bolt. Remember the 17HM2 is based on the 22Stinger cartridge not the 22LR. So it creates more 'reward force' on the bolt beacuse of the increased powder charge. Now think of the open end of the case (the end of the cartridge were the bullet goes)this is like a 'blow off valve'. Now as you decrease the size of the hole the pressure goes up. Just like a air house attachment.

So what you have is a cartridge that creates more pressure on the bolt face. Now you might ask why the pressure is not exerted forward to push the bullet? Basically if you want increased velocity your going to get increased cartridge pressure as well as bore pressure. Thats just the way it works with this cartridge scenario.

All you need is a barrel you say? Well if want to convert your 10/22 to shoot .17Aguila than all you need is a barrel. Again as mentioned in the previous link the .17Aguila is based on a .22LR cartidge and only creates slightly higher pressure to the bolt face. Again not enough to cause 'extreme case swelling and/or ruptured cases.

.17Aguila= .22LR case necked down to .172/17Cal
.17HM2= .22Stinger case necked down to .172/17Cal

The link is my first post shows a .22LR next to the 17HM2. If you look carefully you can clearly see that the case on the .17HM2 is much taller.

Anymore questions? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Thanks,i'am new to this but i'am understanding. What is a .17Aguila, and where can a get the bullets or do I have to load my own?

Varmit,

The .17Aguila is simply a .22LR with a .17Cal neck. Ammo is hard to find, although I see it everywhere at gunshows here in Arizona. The following links will direct you to ammo and barrels.

www.brownells.com -Barrels
www.tacticalsol.com -Barrels (may not manufacture .17Aguila barrels anymore).
www.gunsamerica.com -Ammo (you will have to do a search.)
www.gunbroker.com -Ammo (you will have to do a search.)

If I was you I would stick with the 17HM2. Why?

-Better performance for the same price.
-Ammo is everywhere.
-You have more than 10X the barrel selection also.

Hope this helps.

Back