Baldy Mesa - legal areas to hunt?

GJJ

I am trying to determine exactly where it is legal to hunt in the general area around Baldy Mesa (north of Cajon pass). The regulations can be a bit confusing.

1. I have a SBNF map. So, I know where the National Forest begins. My understanding is that you can use rifles and shotguns.

2. I have a BLM map of the area that is below the National Forest. My understanding is that this area is shotgun only.

However, last time I was in the area, I noticed several city "No hunting" signs as I was beginning to make my way back into the lower Mesa area. Does anyone know if there is a city or county map that shows were hunting has been prohibited near the city?

In the lower Mesa area, there seemed to be scattered houses for several miles and it is not clear where a person can legally hunt.

The areas you speak off above the National forest all the way to east of Barstow are shotgun only areas under a San Bernardino County ordinance.

The additional areas you speak of where you observe signs saying no hunting are also SBCo ordinances protecting that immediate area and will be found around housing projects.

Getting away from those areas and not seeing any signs you may hunt with shotguns only.

Anything within the city limits posted or otherwise is a no no. The actual limits of the cities up here are bigger than most people know. Most of the cities here average 75-80 square miles.

Hope this helps...

Last edited:
Try a good county map. I've hunted that area with shotguns before and did pretty good.
This time of the year the coyotes like hanging out by the aqueduct because of the heat, come Sept. 1st that the place to go dove hunting too.

I looked up a Map for SB county. If you take 395 North and exit on Phelan road, it does not appear to be Hesperia. Would this be considered unincorporated area in San Bernadino?

If so, how does a person find the regulations for those area beyond the general "Shotgun only" rule?

Last edited:
Take a look at a current Thomas Guide. Cities are always expanding their borders. If it's county area and not posted then shotgun only applies.

Just make sure you keep far enough away, 150 yards at least from houses and you won't upset folks.

Do expect to call in domestic and feral dogs when hunting in these areas..

Sometimes I go into these populated areas, but don't shoot cause I don't want to upset anyone. But I will hand call and coyotes always show up... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Danny is right, closer to the aqueduct, the better your chances are right now. I've talked to people that swear they have seen packs of coyotes drinking out of that aqueduct.

Back