Who made herters guns

coycaller

I've got a chance to pickup a 300 win. mag. But it has herters name on it. Does anyone know what company made guns for herters back in the 60s-early 70s?

Herters U-9 Action = BSA = Birmingham Small Arms Co. LTD., Birmingham, England.

Herters began importing the U-9 barreled actions and comlete rifles in @ 1965-66. They are generally considered to be well made, accurate hunting rifles. Came in two action lengths in calibers ranging from 222 Remington to 458 Win Mag. - BCB

Edited for spelling - BCB

Off the top of my head the J9 was made by the same company that made the bolt action rifles for Interarms. These were made in Yugoslavia to the best of my knowledge.

If I recall they were indeed make in Yugoslavia, but I don't recall the name of the firm that manufactured them. The others were made in Birmingham, England. They were good rifles for the price they commanded. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

A little history on the Herters J9 actions:

According to my 1971 edition of Bolt Action Rifles by Frank De Haas, the early J9 actions which Herters began selling @ 1965 were a close copy of the FN Commercial Mauser and were actually stamped "Made in Germany".

In the 1967 Herters catalog, the J9 is described as being made by Zavodi Crvena Zastava and were marked "Made in Yugoslavia" with the lettering Herter's M-XK-3. Zastava is the same Yugoslav firearms company which made the Mark X actions, barreled actions, and complete rifles which Interarms began importing in 1969.

As stated earlier, the Herters U9 actions were made by BSA in England and differed cosmetically from the J9 actions.- BCB

Back