Help With Accu-Trigger

Stealth1959

Got a new Savage in 204 and wanted to adjust the trigger a little lighter. What a nightmare!!!!

Got the litte tool in the slot and it would not back out any so I tightened the spring down some and it was STUCK there! When I try to back the screw out/off with the tool it feels like it's binding up.

Have I backed it out all the way and that's all there is?

After some "massaging" I think I got it back to 3-4 pounds, but I like my triggers at 2 pounds. I found the adjustment to be rough and the spring looked like it was in a funky bind.

Has anybody with a Savage Accu-Trigger had this same experience? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I have never had that issue with mine...You will find alot of accutrigger lover's, I am not one of them. I don't like mine at all. I can't get used it. I am in the minority when it comes to not liking it though....I am not a savage lover to begin with, but I still have a few and actuallly prefer the old style trigger that was adjustable. I only seen one of the old one's that I could not get adjusted to suit me.

People who have never used a good custom trigger seem to love the accu-trigger. Most people who have experience with a good custom trigger hate them.

Jack

Just to make sure I'm not crazy, to lighten the trigger pull, you back the screw off and NOT tighten it, right?

I have 3 Win Model 70's with trigger work and they are superb.

It's late and I'm frustrated......

Quote:
People who have never used a good custom trigger seem to love the accu-trigger. Most people who have experience with a good custom trigger hate them.
Jack

Very well said, Jack.

The adjustment has to do with how tight the spring is. I believe that you turn counter clockwise to lighten the trigger pull (it makes the spring longer). You can only go so far with this adjustment. Some that prefer a lighter pull clip a few coils off the spring to get the desired result. If that is something you want to look into, go to www.savageshooters.com and you should find the info that you would need. I personally did not feel comfortable with that, so I replaced the trigger with a Timney when Midway put them on sale.

Good Luck

My old hunting partner loves his Accu-trigger. I on the other hand spent lots of years behind target triggers and competition shooting and don't really care for it.

He shoots better with it and that's the bottom line. My favorite was the old Canjur single set. I've been shooting my CZ 527 Lux with CZ's fine single set and am finding it's a dandy.

It's hard to beat the Timney's for an aftermarket trigger. You might want to give Savage a call or email and share your problems with them. They might replace it for you.

I have only seen one accu-trigger yet that was below 3 lbs out of the box. Seen several at 3 lbs and they would not adjust below that.

Know several people that replaced the accu-trigger with a after market trigger.

I like Savage rifles, but I'm not sure the accu-trigger is what it's all cracked up to be as far as pull weight below the 3 lb mark. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

At best seems to be a hit and miss issue.

theres that very little hole in the reciever the bent end of the spring sits in. Make sure it's in there, as posted above some don't adjust down very low. I have one FV thats at about 2lbs. the other 2 FV's won't come close, maybe 3 1/2.

I don't care for the accu trigger myself, I actually prefer the old trigger with the set screw for sear engagement. I do like SSS trigger and have them on a few rifles.

Light custom triggers are nice and I prefer them to the accutrigger, BUT the accutrigger is far safer in the hands of a novice hunter. They just do not fire unless they are supposed to. My Timney's on the other hand would not take a spill on the ice quietly.

A second factor when considering pre-accutrigger vs accutrigger is the difference in reciever. The rear round reciever of the accutrigger eliminated any error in that extra milling step that can (and does) lead to misalignment of scope bases.

STsavage_0813A.jpg

To adjust the AccuTrigger pull weight, simply remove the two pillar-bedding stock screws, lift off the stock, and insert the tool supplied with the rifle into the bottom of the trigger return spring, engaging the spring-tail with the slot on the tool. For a heavier pull, turn the tool clockwise. Maximum trigger pull (nominally six pounds) comes when the spring "clicks" when rotated. For a lighter pull, turn the tool counter-clockwise. Minimum pull (nominally 1.5 pounds) is at the point when the large coil contacts the top surface of the trigger and you detect resistance. If you try to force the spring beyond these limits, you won't create any danger, but you'll destroy the spring and the pull will feel lousy.

Gentlemen, thank you all for the advice. Took it to the range Saturday and the gun shoots very well. I managed just under an inch with it. I think I pulled on the 3rd shot as I was in a hurry (had to get ready to head to my cousin's ranch).

I have to say that I am dissapointed that Savage claims to be able to adjust the trigger down 1.5 pounds and you basically can't always do that. I am taking it to my smith tomorrow to put the trigger pull gauge ion and see exactly where it's at.

Thanks again. You guys are great.

P.S. Counted 25 hogs raiding one of the feeders and one 3 ft gator in the pond. This is going to be a fun season.

Back