Sako 243 Forester value & quality ??

muskrat30

I am looking at a mid 1960's Sako Forester 243, blued, fancy wood stock & $200 scope & a few other minor items. The gun has been used very little & it is the original owner. I would put it in the 98% condition with no blueing wear, rust,nicks, or other defects. It also has iron sights & the stock has rosewood type caps & the raised cheek piece. Does anyone have a feel for a price & the quality of that vintage made in Finland Sako Forester ? Thanks for any info. The deal may evaporate before I act anyway since I already have a few 243's. The current price is in the $725 range. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif Yes the guy told me it is 'Bofers' steel, I'm not sure what that is. I have been doing a little research on gunbroker & guns America.

Last edited:
If you can afford it, buy it. That is very reasonable. If you sell the scope for $200 and essentially get the rifle for $525, it is a STEAL. Be for warned though. Once you buy your first Sako, it's like a sickness that is only cured by more Sakos.

It sounds like you're describing a deluxe model. Is there some engaving on the magazine floor plate and an inlay on the pistol grip? It is most likely a pre-Stoeger import. Look on the bottom of the barrel, just ahead of the for end. If it says Rhimaki, then definately buy it. If it says Bofers Steel any where on it, definately buy it. As for the quality... Come on, it's a Sako.

It was a sad day when the Beretta Giant gobbled them up. My understanding is that quality has not changed, but I just can't warm up to the new ones.

Buy it and don't look back, look forward and sell it to me for the same price. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Quote:
I love the Vixen action. Hard to find now though.

Jack

I have a full stocked Sako Vixen (.223) built on the L461 action.

I gave the gun a good off the stock wipe down & cleaning. It does say 'Bofers Steel' on the side. The seller bought it new in 1967 and it has next to no wear on it. The scope may not be worth that much but looks fine. It is a Redfield 3-9 of about the same year. After the rifle sale he showed me a model 12 20 ga that may be next on the block. It was a shorter barrel lighter weight version. I don't need it but I did leave him my number. He does check prices with a gunshop owner so any will go near fair value. I also got about 100 rnds of ammo, cartridge belt & a hard & soft case in the deal. [image]C:\documents and settings\my pictures\picture package\07_08_01_01\dcim\101MSDCF\DSC00207[/image]

Last edited:
I have many SAKO rifles, never had a bad or even an "average" one. They are super! I grew up in Riihimaki Finland, my family knew the SAKO leadership, I did some consulting for them many years ago. I have watched the whole manufacturing process from start to finish. I also seen how they made their ammunition and how much care goes in to their products. The Bofors barrel steel is double heat treated Swedish chrome-moly alloy. SAKO takes a slice out of every steel rod and examines them under a electron microscope to verify the steel structure. They are very careful about quality. All of the rifles are bench shot to verify proofing and also shot for accuracy. The older SAKO rifles had iron sights on them, and they were well made and very functional. They also used to have French walnut stocks, and later on went to Turkish walnut as the North European supply diminished. The early models had hand checkered stocks, the checkering was done by some very talented ladies. If the barrel has not been damaged do to improper cleaning, it should be very accurate.

The great regret of my gun-trading life is having let go my Forrester Carbine .308 - [beeep], I'm still mad at myself. Buy that rifle or tell me where it is!

Back