Speer 22 Caliber 52 Grain Hollow Points

greydog

I have read a few articles including one by Rick Jamison of Shooting Times who recommend this bullet for hide hunting coyotes. Just picked up a box for my 233 Remington and have yet to try them out. Anyone have any luck with them on coyotes? Good or bad? Anyone ever use them on fox as well? Thanks in advance.

I am also wondering the same thing about this bullet myself. when I bought my son a 22-250. a local gunsmith loaded up a few rounds with the Speer 52 grain 1035 bullet and they shot on paper & prairie dogs very well.

I have shot a few coyotes with them out of a 22-250 and they do make larger holes than the 40 grain hp. my 52 grain HP's were traveling at 3400 fps and the 40 grain HP's were traveling at 3900 fps. I prefer the 40 grain HP's

Professional trapper/hunter buddy of mine, who has taken WAY more coyotes than I ever will, once told me that the Speer 52 gr HP with the BIG hole in the nose, has never exited a coyote he shot. To include .223, .22-250, and .220 Swift.
I have found the same results in my limited experience, with the bonus of exceptional, or EXCEPTIONAL accuracy. (One .220, not mine unfortunately, 3/8" groups are the norm, NOT the exception at 100 meters.
Mark

Many years ago a 'best bullet' thread popped up on this forum, and that bullet got a lot of thumbs-up. Never used it myself, but based on reports here that'd be the one I tried if I used a .22 instead of a .243.

I have shot this bullet for many years and have to agree with the exceptional accuracy post. As far as good killers, they will do the job but like all bullets they are not perfect. Sometimes you may get one that punches a big hole. I would highly recommend them.

Wellllllllll, ok, here I go again...

Yes, I agree that the 52gr Speer big nosed h.p. (flatbase for me) was and I am sure still is, a GREAT bullet. It was theeeeee ONE and ONLY bullet I used in my first 22-250 approx 20yrs ago(?).

HOWEVER, in my testing of these bullets approx 2 years ago in my 2nd 22-250, they were no more accurate than the 50gr Nosler Ballistic Tips. And with substantialy less ballistic coefficient.

Also the nosler's are sooooo accurate in my (bolt action) 223 that I do not even bother trying anything else.

The Nosler's of course will often shoot clean through a yote, so is a draw back for those that do not like/want that. Drawbacks and Advantages to almost everything.

My 2 cents /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I wrote about that bullet a # of yrs. ago in VHA mag. It has been referred to as the "sleeper" bullet regarding accuracy in PS mag. yrs. ago. One of my favorite pelt bullets-- no question.

I formerly used the Speer 52gr HP bullet in several of my .222Rem. and .222Rem. Mag. rifles. They were quite accurate, and had the largest hollow point cavity I had ever seen. I don't know if they are made in the same configuration today. This was at least 10 years ago. I liked the Sierra 52gr. HPBT better and switched. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

I use the Sierra 53 grain HP in my AR for woyotes. They are very accurate and kill well. Mostly fur friendly too. The only difference between the two is that the 53 is a flat base rather than the boat tail of the 52

A co-worker gave me a box of Speer 52 grain HP's a number of years back. I got good accuracy with them, as good as any of the plastic tipped bullets I've used anyway. They were also good on coyotes when fur was a concern. I only killed 30-35 coyotes with them but I don't remember an exit. On very close range shots(under 40 yards or so) I did get some substantial fur damage at times.

I haven't used them for coyotes in awhile because that huge hollowpoint cavity would catch once in a great while and cause me a problem when trying to chamber a second round. It's likely a problem with my particular rifle but I don't need something like that happening when I'm hunting.

The Speer 52 gr hollow point is my favorite bullet for predator calling in my 22-250. Starke made one that was equivilent or better actually, but he went out of bidness /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Jim Calhoon makes a 52 HP "double hollowpoint".
Out of a 22-250 it will rip up a coyote pretty well. In terms of accuracy, A says they run with anything out there, in his rifle.

Just thought I would throw that one on the wall, too.

I agree with Cal about the Sierra 52 gr hpbt. I was having trouble getting groups with my .223's. Loaded up some of the Sierra and with my CZ I am busting aspirin at 93 yards (5 out of 7 shots). I know some of you can shoot better than that, but I'm satisfied.

Back