what causes "flyers" in groups on paper?

Mudpuppy, I have no idea what causes fliers. This I do know though.

Many of my fliers I can call (was me/raising my head etc) while others I have know idea.

I use what I "think" is the same rule as Jack?! I go by a minimum of 75% of what ALL my "5" (NOT 3) shot groups are doing with my best load.

One of my predator rifles (223) is doing very well at over 80% of my (5 shot) groups @ 1/2" and well under. I will not settle for less from my customized 22-250 when it returns. Good chance I will be disappointed?! We'll see.

As for your 270, I expect "5" shots @ 1" at 100 yards from my deer rifles and again won't settle for less(aka;more) or it goes. I would bet yours will get there. Be persistent!

Desert Dog, same thing my friend. That would drive me nuts! I'm sure you will get it.

Hey that's what part of this hobby is all about /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Yup. I just bought some Berger moly 30 grain pills, loaded up 5 sets of 5 rounds braketed around the best group illustrated in the targets posted above. I'm going to the range tomorrow and giving it another try. I also loaded up another bunch of the Calhoon loads to see if the flyers are gonna happen again.

I have a Kimber stainless barrel on a Mauser action in 308 and that rifle didn't shoot well (1.5 inch groups) until I tried some Black Hills loaded ammo with moly bullets. Dang! All of a sudden that puppy shot .5 to 3/4 inch groups.

I'm hoping the CZ 17 likes the Berger 30-grain moly loads. I'll let ya'll know.

Back