Can Whippets Hunt and Kill Coyotes?

Weasel-UT

It's said they can run 60 miles an hour, so they should be able to catch coyotes. I was just wondering if the coyote or Whippet would win the fight.
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v

[image]
WendytheRoiddog.jpg
[/image]

http://www.canada.com/victoriatimescolon...8ea&k=59202

http://www.canada.com/victoriatimescolonist/news/story.html?id=67f15c17-2717-4022-bb76-1b982456e793

You sure thats Canadian , looks like a Russian female Whippet to me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Last edited:
60mph top-end, hard for me to believe. If a dog like that had a long enough muzzle & was a "throat" dog. Then I'd say it's possible for it to kill a coyote, 1 on 1. Otherwise it would have a hard time w/o back-up.

Quote:
I was thinking now we have proof that Arnold and Rosie
know each other alittle to well. Kelly

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I mistyped. It's 60Km per hour (approximately 37 mph). Bob, that dog was funny looking enough before you crossed it with a "Chawawa"! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

She looks like a lot of west coast race-bred whippets. The fastest can push 35 mph plus and can weigh around 40 lb. Race bred whippets are also used for Open Field Coursing of jackrabbits and will go after coyotes if there is a chance encounter. I've seen both whippets and coyotes torn up pretty bad. I don't know anyone who uses them to specifically hunt coyotes. Greyhounds yes. Race bred and show whippets come from two different planets.

Steve Hill

Me and the father in law used whippets for years chasing coyotes. I would not say that there a dog with a lot of fight in them. Yes they can kill a coyote but I wouldn't run the dog that way, but then again none of our dogs looked like the one above.

Back