Steyr Pro Hunter vs Tikka T3

M Jager

Here's one I haven't seen here before.

I've been leaning towards getting a 25.06 someday down the road when I am not poor. After much debate (with the voices in my head) I decided I would try these Tikkas out that everyone raves about. Specifically, I was thinking about the T3 Varmint which supposedly does infact come in 25.06.

Then tonight I have to go and throw a monkey wrench into that plan by glancing at a certain online distributers website and noticing I could get a stainless steyer pro-hunter for about the same price as the tikka.

What's ya'lls thoughts on these two critters?

If both guns are the same price, don't forget that the New Tikkas comes with free scope rings. Just my 2 centavos worth.

Happy Hunting .. Emilio .. Pico Rivera, ca.

You can also get the 25-06 in the t-3 lite and the t-3 laminated stainless. I have both models in different calibers and they are both excellent shooters. The laminated stainless is a really nice looking gun. I dont think i would reccommend using their rings though. Just my opinion.

i am sorry steyrs are the ugliest rifles known to man, the stock design looks horrible, and the stock looks like its 9 mos pregnant where the clip slides in, most other people agree because they aren't selling that well these days, I say get the tikka everday, everytime.

I could post a picture of my 2 favorite .243s, and one would be a Steyr PH and the other a Tikka T3 Lite.

I have several Steyrs and more on order from Austria. They make a premium stand to stand hunter and have more trick features than any other rifle I've seen. I just pulled a 100 yard .243 target from the file for this season and 5 shots of Hornady 75 gr HP fit in 0.59".

The mag is flush mount dual row, two position. In the lower position, it hangs about 1/8", and the bolt cycles without loading a shell, a feature I've never seen elsewhere.

The trigger is two stage adjustable, possibly better than the Savage Accu-trigger.

The Steyr safety is unusual too - a three position wheel behind the receiver tang. Forward is fire. Mid is safe, but the bolt cycles. Rear position locks the bolt too and allows you to press the bolt handle down into the stock where it locks out of the way in a snag-proof position for hiking. The bolt is instant to remove, disassemble or reassemble with no tools if needed.

Both rifles, Tikka and Steyr, have super smooth actions. The Steyr is 4-lug, the Tikka 2-lug. The Steyr has a smaller ejection port and keeps dirt out better. The Steyr bolt has a third ring of steel and they swear it will take pressures to 120k cup which is double most loads.

The Steyr stock comes with quick detachable sling swivel different from any you've ever seen - they twist 90 degrees to release. There are no sling studs, just small slits for the tang on the swivel. Stock length of pull is also adjustable via spacers. And for someone to rag on the ambidextrous palm swell is a mistake. It works well.

Tikka comes with dovetail rings and sling swivels. The Steyr uses Browning A-bolt bases and rings - not included. Some of the new Steyrs come with a Piccatinny rail.

Steyr is under new ownership and is not being imported since a British tabloid falsely reported .50 Cal Steyr anti-materiel rifles were found in Iraq. CentCom denies the claim, but import and factory service are not happening right now. Plans are in the making to start up import again and the web site is up and running, but I had to order a couple of .223 rifles a couple of weeks ago via a law enforcement supplier directly from Austria. If you can find the caliber you want right now, I'm surprised. Prices in the past were $620 - $750 for the gray/blue Pro hunter, $100 more for stainless, $100 more for camo stock - but expect the new ones to cost substantially more.

Some guys don't like Steyr because they're expensive and no one wants to pay for all those cool features. They also don't like them because Austria was responsible for WW I, WW II, and the Terminator.

Call Steyr yourself. The guy who answers the phone has been in the firearms industry for more than 40 years and loves to chat.

I have a steyr prohunter mountain rifle .243 its by far the best bolt action rifle i have ever put my hands on.
loaded with features and it just plain shoots.

Gary

I have shot an owned Steyr's for many years. Consider them to be the most accurate rifles out of the box there is. If you can get one for the same price or close to a Tikka, I would buy the Steyr. I have Tikka's and they are nice rifles that really shoot as well.

Back