Northern Arizona Coyote Hunt

Hyperwrx

Planning a coyote hunt with my hunting partner to Williams/Prescott area. Anyone have any good spots they care to share? Don't know area very well.

Thanks in advance.

Just got back from Seligman, never did any calling but got three while shooting prairie dogs.
While we were setting up benches two of them started barking at us at 800 yards.
I wish I could have my coyote jakes bench and front rest and bags and the whole setup when i go calling. The first one didnt have a prayer. Bang! Flop!
The second one ran about 200 yrds away from the dead one and started barking at us again. Problem for him was...he ran into 600 yard range. DRT!
Anyways, they were running all over the place in Seligman, not far from Williams. Good luck.

Well.....sounds like you had a good trip. We saw a few others besides the one I already told you about but none of them stood around barking at us. Those 2 obviously weren't aware of your reputation. Did you zap 'em with that new wissum? AND WHERE'S THE DADGUM PICTURES?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Without giving away my spots, anywhere in the Prescott National Forest is good, especially in the lower areas in the junipers. They lifted the fire restrictions, which included firearms, so fire away. Bring rain gear, because it's coming down in buckets.

Happy Hunting /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

We had a great trip jim!
On Saturday we didn't get set up until 730am and we landed on a great spot. These are the only pics we got. Camera gave up the ghost after 3 or 4 pics and never came back to life. From now on I will make sure to bring a backup camera.
I brought my video camera and never broke it out. I should have, because there were many opps for some good footage.
This was the first time my boy has been out for prairie dogs and I think he's ruined. He impressed me tremendously with his knack for long range sighting and shooting.

dakota.jpg

We blew through 10 boxes of shells pretty quick (3hours) with tons of great shots. It was big fun. The problem is that you only get 300-350 yds as yours closest shot.
Most dogs were killed at 400-600yrds.
That was the best part. Apparently my loads are working out.
anyways, the coyotes were on Sunday and we have no pics of them, but next week I will be prepared and I'm sure we we will have success again.
I didn't have my wssm handy for the coyotes, but the 223 was very effective. If you could have your bench,rest,chair,rangefinder, and gun all setup to call coyotes every time it would be easy! These meatheads started barking at us as soon as we set up and wouldn't shut up...or move.
We had all the time in the world to do them in. The hold over was pretty scary but as much time as I have spent fooling around with this gun it was a no-brainer after we ranged them.
The 55gr VMax was devastaing at 800yrds!
The second one ran to us and stopped at 600 yrds to bark some more. He died the same devastating death.
The 3rd was out cruising around as we moved to a new stand and was easy prey at 200 yards just standing there.
It as pretty warm on Saturday and we were done at noon when 2 huge storm cell came in. One from the North and one from the south...It looked as if they were going to converge righ over our stand so we made a quick take down of the shades and tables so we could make a run for it.
Sure enough...not a minute after we got in the truck it started POURING! About a minute after that the cell from the north met up and it was on!!!
Big fun!
Heres the only pics we got.

Our escape..The wall of water is right where we were a few minutes before.
wallofwater.jpg

setup.jpg

bench.jpg

One unlucky contestant that wandered through the set.
The boy was watching through the binos when I shot,I asked him "Where did he go?" and he says..."He blew up"
This is the only piece that was big enough to pick up, much less post.
bunny.jpg

Thats about it for now. We'll be back next week with cameras and we will show descent pics for that outing.
Good luck everybody!

North of the 40.
We have never had much luck on the south side. They are there, we just never got into any decent sized towns.
Take the 40 to Seligman, sign in at the board across the street from the KOA campground.(North side of the road) You will see a game and fish sign at the gate and a big sign that says "Boquious Ranch"
Go through Seligman and go down 66 about 10 miles and there is a billboard sign that says "Grand Canyon Caverns"
Turn in that gate. Head out onto the ranch and start looking for activity. Stay on the roads.
Thats it!

Thank you for the directions. We're there for coyotes exclusivly. We'll hit it this weekend seeing as you saw/shot a couple without even trying. If you see us (Blue and grey crew cab Dodge Dakota) wave and say hello. -Scott

They were in the middle of the main pasture that you be shooting pdogs in. There are alot of dead cowws there. I think they may have been feeding on a fresh one when we rolled in. We were on a rise in the pasture and there was a small wash there son we may have even parked too close to there den which would explain why they would not leave.
At the range they were at I'm sure they thought we werre no threat.
You saw my white ford in the pictures so if you see me holler at us. I may be driving that one or an '01 that looks identical with GENESIS plates.
Good luck!

Hey genesis, what's your set-up (rifle, scope, etc...) That's some pretty good shooting if you are hitting coyotes out to 800 yds.

The gun is a Rock River EOP 24" 1/9 Black Diamond 8-32X50 scope shooting 55gr Vmax, 25gr Ramshot Xterminater. Jewell trigger helps alot also.
The fact is we shoot at that range quite often. the big asset that day was there was no breeze whatsoever.

Last edited:
Quote:
Hey genesis, what's your set-up (rifle, scope, etc...) That's some pretty good shooting if you are hitting coyotes out to 800 yds.

by the way...like I said if you coluld have your bench setup every time calling coyotes you could just hunt th open country and take em when they first show up.
It aint me, its the gun. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Genesis,

I'm out in that area next week as well, all week from Sat through the next Sunday, probably all over the ranch, but should be over toward Aubrey Cliffs and Long Point scouting for deer and elk. Might drop down for a bit to see if I can get the kid into some pdogs. If you see a Silver Toyota PU with Kali plates and a winch bumper, stop and say hi!

That looks like the tower on the Aubrey cliffs in the background on one of the pics, no? Or is that on the other side by Babbit Ranch? Don't think I recognize that gate.

Now that's the way REAL PD shooters do it! I don't have big enough glass on my rifle to make 600 yd PD's anything but frustrating. I have to improvise a bit to stay within my abilities. I haul a small chair out from the truck a ways, find a little elevation, get out my shooting sticks and clear the area out to 400 yds. or so. Then I move over the next rise and start the process over again. If you get off the road just a little ways they're not nearly as skittish and there's more of them.

As for CALLING coyotes on the ranch.....in MHO there's not enough cover and way too many things for them to eat out on that prairie. All of my opportunities have been drivebys. If you try it Hyperwrx, I sure hope you prove me wrong. Plenty of better suited (cover wise) areas close by though and it IS a coyote haven.

Wish I could rendezvous with you guys and join in the fun but I've got livestock duty this weekend. Be safe and stay dry!

Quote:
Plenty of better suited (cover wise) areas close by though and it IS a coyote haven.

I'm very green to this area and really am open to all advice on where. You have a better area?

We're planning on spending Friday evening and morning in the Prescott Valley area. Up in the low Juniper covered hills I saw.

Saturday afternoon/evening and Sunday all day is open. Williams area was an idea.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the info so far, not a life time Arizona resident so dont know all the good spots yet.

Again, really apprecieate all the help thus far.

-Andrew

I waasn't slamming the Seligman area. There are plenty of coyotes there. Just saying that the area where Genesis was at is very open as you can see from his pictures. There's plenty of juniper type areas there too as you'll see if you wind up going there. The Antelope Eaters hunt is based out of Seligman and plenty of coyotes are killed there every year.

These guys are right about better spots than the ranch.
The ojnes that I got were sheer luck and opportunity.
If I was going to go calling I would hit the cedars and washes.
The ranch is really wide open.

Back