.17 HMR for Coyoty/Bobcat/Fox Hunting?

predatorsniper1

I need your opinion. I have a young hunter in my church that wants to start predator hunting with me. Do you think that a .17 HMR will do the trick? I am asking becuase I know that the .17 HMR is pretty inexpensive and easy to handle... What do you guys/gals think? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Keep the shots around 50 yards or under and use the 20 GR XTP HP and it will work. For yotes you need to go a little bigger /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

My brother has taken coyote with his .17HMR. It does a decent job under decent conditions. His worst shot was when he had to hurry and in fading light gut shot the yote. He came back to track it the next day and found it laying dead about 150yds from the point of impact.

If the shooter does his job the .17HMR will work just fine. You just have to concentrate a little more on the task of shooting.

Does he have the .17HRM already ? Or is he planning on getting one? If he has not allready bought the HMR. I would suggest a H&R youth handi rifle in .22Hornet The rifle cost less than them .17HRM do. My son has one and it is a tack driver.

Lights

Last edited:
The 22 Hornet killed much better than its sizes would suggest. Hornady V-Max 40 gr with Lil'Gun. My Encore Rifle loves this load. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I'm going to assumme "young hunter" probably means he doesn't have much experience on predators. Inexperienced hunters + extremely light for game catridges = BAD IDEA.

The 17 HMR is marginal at best in the hands of a experienced and disciplined shooter.

Frankly, if he can't shoot a 22 hornet, .222 Rem, or .223 accurately then he's probably not ready to a toting a gun after coyotes.

JMHO,
Matt

I agree on the 22 Hornet very little recoil,low noise and good for 125-150 yards a long way from a young persons view of the world. A GREAT confidence builder when they are ready to move up in size or caliber.

Younger hunter, the hornet is going to cost him an arm and a leg for ammo. Have him buy Varminter single shot heavy barreled wood laminate H&R 223. I bought one of these years ago brand new for about a $169. It was a tack driver. You can find extremely cheap ammo the the little guy can practice more to become a better marksman. Also taking his time better for shot placement knowing he only has one shot.

safety is another concern. With the single shot YOU always know the location of the hammer. When my baby girl was nine I got her a NEF 223 ultra lite.
Make sure the young hunter wears hearing protection - the noise can cause a flinch as much as the recoil...
good luck with your selection.......

PS - getting a young hunter started - Looks good on you...Kelly

I don't think there would be a problem, except on coyotes. I would watch my distances for coyotes, probably keep shots on those around the 50 yard mark. Bobcat and fox are not a tough as a coyote, you could reach out to 125 on them. Just make sure they practice a lot and focus on shot placement. Good Luck!!

I finaly understand why this question keeps coming up... I was in a buddys gunshop on Friday. Looking for something I didnt have. Decided to try a Savage with accu-Trigger in .17HMR. Mounted a 3-9x40 on it there and bought it. I had 50Rounds. The Hornady V-max. Didnt even clean the rifle or anything. Was at the range on Sunday and decided to try it out. The 50 yard range was packed so I was on the 100. A few groups and I had it dialed in at 100. And I noticed these were quite small groups for a rimfire at that distance, especial with the inconsistant changing light breeze. ( 10MPH cross wind will push the V-max 8")

I played with some .260 loads that were the real reason I was there. Befor I left I figured I would shoot all the HMR left to see what I could do when concentrating. I took my time and put the last 15 rounds into about 1 1/4" maybe 1 1/2" ( havent measured it yet). I was very happy with that. That will make me deadly for squirrels at that distance. I'm gonna clean the rifle and try all the different brands and weights to see what she really likes. I'm very interested in the 20gr for tree squirrels.

I just know the limitations of the rifle and the limitations of me. If I happen to be trucking the HMR this winter headshooting a few squirrels for the grill and see a grey fox at 75 yards or less I may pop him in the head. When I go calling, I will not bring the HMR. There are too many centerfire rifles available for this.

Last edited:
Don't clean it broknareo! or at least don't clean the bore it will hurt your accuracy. Happened to me mine was shooting .5 inch groups at 100 yards, till I cleaned the bore. It's finally starting to come back in after 50 rounds, but I was pretty disspointed with it for the last week.

I went the Handi superlight in 22 hornet myself, for a couple of reasons

1. The superlight with a youth replacement stock is a good size for a small shooter (mine is a lanky 11).

2. The hornet is powerful enough to kill to the ranges he has the skill to hit, though I did convert it to K-hornet for a little more range.

3. Not that 223 is is a big hitter but the sedate hornet is less loud and jumpy especially in that little gun. part b to this is that superlighs can be fickle but the hornet versions tend to be much less so than the 223 and 243 models

4. And don't ask me why but I have wanted for a hornet for years.

Stated by MPFD in another posting about predator hunting with the 17 HMR..........

Where are you guys shooting these animals? In the vitals, or in the head? I've killed yotes, foxes, praire dogs, crows, ferel cats, turkeys, big snapping turtles, with no problem. I agree that a 22 mag packs more punch, but the ballistic tip 17 g. federals haven't let me down yet. They are very deadly and the HMR is best PD gun out there in my opinion, because it's so quiet. I've head shot PD's @ over 200 yards on calm days.

Edited by MPFD (07/10/07 03:23 PM)

When did you wake up and see the light?? You sholuld of PMed me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
I'd say you would be under gunned.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Back