Another Toy I dont need

broknaero

I'm looking at getting a Contender pistol. I may or may not decide to get parts to convert into a carbine from time to time. If I get the pistol (never hunted with a pistol) looking at the BullBerry site what would my best choice for deer hunting be?

I'm thinking a .35 Rem would work great. But having no experiance with pistol hunting I could be wrong. Theres lots of small calibers I want just to play around with. Maybe I should go with the rifle instead? I'll get more accuracy with the longer barrels. But something about hunting with a handgun apeals to me.

So, if I go with the pistol and out of the calibers listed what would you choose for deer hunting?

List: http://www.bullberry.com/TCbarrels.html

Thanks

.357 Maximum, you can send the TC .357 barrel off to Mike Bellm, he can recut the chamber and get you real throat and correct leade.

I have a bud that has the contender in 30-30 Imp. Bullberry barrrel, it is a real shooter, and it is his primary deer hunting rig, with the single shot, more choices of bullets than in a tubular mag. lever action. If he does not hit them right, the muzzle blast stuns them till he can get up on them.

Last edited:
I would also look at the 7-30 I have a 14" barrel and have had it in a 16" it a very accurate round and works well on deer.
Look at some of the JDJ cartridges also my buddy has a 309JDJ and 375JDJ which is now a factory chambering. I use a 44mag ,445supermag and 357max in OH for deer they all work good. I also have a 24" bull barrel in 204 Ruger that is a tack driver and very nice to carry it is a nice compact rifle.

I like my 30-30 14" standard bull barrel. I used it for my groundhog gun before I owned a centerfire rifle. I had taken several groundhogs out to 150 yds with the 30-30 and a T/C 2.5x scope. I had a 7-30 hunter barrel for a short while, but the blast from the muzzle brake scared the wife and it had to go. I'm shooting 28 gr. of IMR 4895 with a Speer 130 gr. JHP. Very accurate and flat shooting for a 30-30. The guy that gave me the load had killed tons of whitetails with it, both calibers are excellent choices.

Quote:
I would also look at the 7-30 I have a 14" barrel and have had it in a 16" it a very accurate round and works well on deer.
Look at some of the JDJ cartridges also my buddy has a 309JDJ and 375JDJ which is now a factory chambering. I use a 44mag ,445supermag and 357max in OH for deer they all work good. I also have a 24" bull barrel in 204 Ruger that is a tack driver and very nice to carry it is a nice compact rifle.

Rich is "right" on this one. The 7X30 waters makes an excellent deer round. Brass availabilty is an issue and you
may likely have to make your own from 30-30 brass but well worth the effort.

Hoggy

I have a Contender in 14 inch .17 HMR that is one of the most fun things I have ever owned, but I have an Encore that I built this summer for deer hunting this fall. It is in 7mm-08. I would offer up that I found for myself that I could not shoot a pistol well enough to find a difference in a factory TC barrel and spending the extra money to get a Bullberry. My TC barrel is as accurate as I could imagine anything being and will out shoot me any day. This will be my challenge for the fall, my first deer with a pistol. Here is a pic of my new toy that I did not need. (BTW, I realize that I got out of the "need" business about 15 years ago and I am strickly in the "want" business now!) The glass for this rig is a 2.5-8 Leupy that is being dipped right now in camo. It should be back in about 2 weeks so I can get down to practice. Here she is:

EncorePistol.jpg

EncorePistol2.jpg

Back