Remington 700 BDL heavy barrel question

cowpoke

While getting a scope mounted today I saw a used Model 700 BDL with a heavy barrel in 223.

Over what years were these made?

Seems that if I recall right they were Remginton's first go at a heavy barrel varmint rifle.

Is there an inexpensive way , without shooting it, to determine if the barrel is shot out of it?

Might be something that wants to live at my house if the price/ trade in on one of my dust collectors is appealing, and it isn't worn out.

Cowpoke,
The most important part of the barrel is the last 1/2 - 3/4's of the barrel at the muzzle. You need to look at this section very closly with a good light and a good magnifier or a good bore scope.

Also a bore scope works good for checking the throat area inside the chamber.

I also check the "locking lugs" and the wear on the bolt.

A while back I inspected a rifle that a guy wanted to sell me, it was like new condition, but when I looked into the muzzle with a magnifier I could see several "pit" marks in the riflings. So I said no thanks!
----------
Coyote Control

Thanks,

I once bought a 22-250 that appeared almost new on the outside and had the barrel worn out.

It was a standard sporter taper barrel and near as we could figure out the previous owner either shot a whole lot of bench with it or overheated it shooting praire dogs out west.

I sold it to a guy who knew what he was getting, and wanted a project gun to re-barrel with a good barrel.

There is no substitute for a borescope. You can not tell the true condition of a barrel without one. Period, end of discussion.

Any better gunsmiths will borescope a barrel for a nominal charge. If your gunsmith doesn't have a borescope, you need a different gunsmith.

A good borescope costs about the same as a good rifle, but can be used on many rifles.

Believe me, it is an investment you will never regret. It takes all the guesswork out of barrel cleaning and evaluating the condition of barrels. You can see how well the chambering was done, the throat angle and length, the barrel quality, crown, etc.

Jack

For once, I must disagree with Jack! The poor man's alternative to a borescope is to fire some ammo through the rifle & see how it shoots! I've heard of several rifles that LOOKED bad through a borescope, shooting very good groups!! The proof is in the pudding!!
Mark

That is why I will (normally) not buy used guns, unless I know the owner (& gun). One can get great prices on new firearms (sale etc)and have a manufacturer that stands behind it. Cheapest seldom ends up being the cheapest.

Also, I guess it just depends on what the "definition" of a barrel that "looks bad" is, and again what the definition of what a "good group is".

I've seen barrels that were becoming "shot out" shooting 1"+ groups. However, that is not a "good group" when it was normally shooting under 1/2". Some times it's just not that obvious. Of course if it's all over the paper it is (obvious).

Gotta once again agree with Mr. Jack Roberts. I just purchased a borescope for exactly the same reason he said and wow, what a learning experience. A few things became immediately apparent with my own rifles: The throat starts to immediately erode as soon as you began shooting if it is a high velocity caliber...if you let it get hot and keep shooting you will really do some damage...if you think solvent and a bronze brush are getting it clean you are sadly mistaken {as was I}...the worst fouling and heat damage occurs in the first 3-4 inches ahead of the chamber...and finally, in small caliber high velocity barrels a carbon ring forms in the throat that while by itself doesn't damage the bore it will sure make it shoot poorly until it is removed. This happens regardless of how often you clean the bore using the standard patch, brush and solvent. There is just no substitute for a borescope with a 90 degree view tube. Good luck.

Thanks for your advice guys.

I haven't made up my mind what I am going to do about that rifle, if it is still there. The price isn't too bad, but not anything special.

The rifle appears to be decently cared for.

If the rest of the rifle is in really nice shape (even if the barrel isn't) I suppose I could get it re-barreled with a really good barrel.

I'd like to get a heavy barrel 223 for spanking prairie dogs and a little bench shooting for fun. But I am not in a hurry or "just have to have one right now" either.

You can buy new take-off Remington barrels for around $50 + or - at some of the online auction or guns for sale publications.

Back