.25-06, .25-06AI, 257 Roberts, 257 Roberts AI, ,257 Roy which quarterbore?

Totch94

I am getting in the market in the next few months to have a rifle built, probably a custom off of a Remington 700 action. I will probably deer, yote, antelope hunt with this rifle and just wonder what everyones experience with these rounds is. What velocity advantages have you all seen with the AI's in the 25-06 and 257 Roberts? Is it worth it to go to the AI in these calibers? 25-06 or .257 Roberts? I have even briefly considered a .257 Weatherby. I have all of the bases covered in the "needs" catagory, this is just a new gun for something fun and different. What's a guy to do? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif I've never owned an AI, but I am starting to think seriously about it. I am a reloader. Thanks for your input on the subject fellas.

Totch94,

I have always found the need for 257AI confusing. If you need the added velocity of the the 257AI why not just "buy" the 25-06. Both calibers need(should) have a long action to accomadate case length and bullet seating. The 25-06 does not require fire forming and the dies are less expensive.

I am going to "catch it" on the above statement for sure.

Also keeping you calibers standard makes them easy to resell if you need to with-out having to throw in the the additional "goodies" to complete the sale.

257 Roberts owners are very "devoted" to this round as they should be. The 257bob is the "308" of the 25's and the 25-06 is the 30-06 of the 25 calibers.

The 25-06 with give you 3300 FPS plus with a 100 gr bullet
and some where around 3000 FPS with a 117 or 120 gr bullets.

Out to 450 yards do you need more speed or power???

If you are in need of a right hand Reminton 700 action in blue send me a PM.

Hoggy

Quote:
Totch94,

I have always found the need for 257AI confusing. If you need the added velocity of the the 257AI why not just "buy" the 25-06. Both calibers need(should) have a long action to accomadate case length and bullet seating. The 25-06 does not require fire forming and the dies are less expensive.

I am going to "catch it" on the above statement for sure.

Also keeping you calibers standard makes them easy to resell if you need to with-out having to throw in the the additional "goodies" to complete the sale.

257 Roberts owners are very "devoted" to this round as they should be. The 257bob is the "308" of the 25's and the 25-06 is the 30-06 of the 25 calibers.

The 25-06 with give you 3300 FPS plus with a 100 gr bullet
and some where around 3000 FPS with a 117 or 120 gr bullets.

Out to 450 yards do you need more speed or power???

If you are in need of a right hand Reminton 700 action in blue send me a PM.

Hoggy

My thoughts EXACTLY! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

As a reloader, once you have gone down the AI path there is no turning back. The 257 Roberts when Ai'ed will run with the 25-06 and should under equal conditions out perform the 25-06 in accuracy and case life.

I feel the Roy is overbored but is an awesome long distance round.

The 25-06 is a good round in its own right. It would be the easiest and cheapest as far as cases and dies goes. When taken to the AI it will gain some velocity and distance, but you will loose barrel life.

Since this is just for grins and giggles, I think you should go with the 257 AI. Decide in advance what bullet you want to shoot and discuss this with the gunsmith. He can cut the chamber and set the freebore to accomodate that bullet.

The Weatherby is an awesome round. Very flat shooting, mild recoil, and has been one fun gun to own and shoot, My next gun however might just be the 257 roberts AI.

I own several AI chambered guns and as a reloader I truly APPRECIATE each one. For example the weatherby will shoot a 100 grain bullet at 3500 fps using 64 grains of IMR 4350 (good load , btw) the roberts AI while only getting 3200 fps uses 50 grains of the same powder to do it. Thats 91% the velocity at 78% the powder. Personally, I really dont think that a deer, squirrel, coyote, tree or paper would see the difference. You however will see a difference in your wallet.

My vote would be for the .250 Savage AI or the .257 Roberts AI, either of these will do what you are looking for. They will both fit in a short action although if you get carried away with long bullets the .257 will get a bit cramped in the magazine. For deer I would use the 100 grain partition or the 100 grain "X" and 100 grain ballistic tips for everything else. IMO You don't need heavier bullets and you don't need a long action for what you are planning.

Bob

I like the 25-06, the 25-06AI and the 257 WBY. Although I do also have a 257 STW and a 257 WSM. I think I have way too many 25 calibers. If I were to only have one it would be a 25-06.

I really love my Model 70 in .257 Roberts.
Very accurate and plenty of power for deer or pigs.

I would not use it for elk but many elk are taken each year with a .257 Roberts.

Quote:
I like the 25-06, the 25-06AI and the 257 WBY. Although I do also have a 257 STW and a 257 WSM. I think I have way too many 25 calibers. If I were to only have one it would be a 25-06.

Hey Dan , That 257 WSM sounds interesting ! What kind of velocities are you getting ?

Back