Exploded gun photos

randy merta

I went back to work today sitting at a desk. I spoke to one of the crime scene guys and got copies of the pictures of my gun when it exploded. What do you think of this?
Dscf0017.jpg
Dscf0018.jpg
Dscf0019.jpg
Dscf0024.jpg

A couple of ?,what was lodged in the barrel,was it a reload and are getting a divorce,it looks like a contender or encore,if it was good thing it wasnt a shouldered rifle.Man that is pretty wicked.It just looks like it was a pipe bomb blowing like that.

How's the eye?

That's scary! Have you talked to TC about it? They may want to take a look at that regardless of the reason for the blow-up.

I would have to say it was due to to light of a charge, causing detonation instead of an even burn. Glad to hear you are recovering nicely.

Is that last photo a piece of cartridge? It looks twisted. I don't think the receiver should have sheared like that. I do Reliability and Failure Analysis, and that might be a case of metal fatigue. You might want to send your gun to a F/A Lab for testing. The receiver/barrel interface is not a stress relief point.

blak coyote that was a TC Contender Carbine. It was a shoulder mounted firearm. Their was NO barrel obstruction.
My eye is doing good. I have a synthetic oil bubble in my eye and it will be removed in about six to eight weeks. My doctor said my vision will greatly increase with the removal of the bubble. The healing part is coming along good. My vision can be compared to looking through a zip lock bag. I can see but I can't see. Thanks again for your friendship and prayers.

Randy

Damn Randy, looks like you put a grenade to your shoulder. Alot of little sharpnel on that one. :eek:

Glad your doing better..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Hey Randy, Glad to hear you are feeling better.

That rifle did a good number on that yote on the ridge in Ky. Nice shot by the way. Hard to belivev that tiny bullet blew his lungs up, lol.

A few questions I didnt get to ask you the other day;
Did the bullet leave the gun? And they would have to find the worst pressure spike with the bullet/brass/powder you were using. The Detnation pressure at it's greatest would have to
exceed the max chamber pressures. I'd have to chart that out but it's almost obvious it was the gun. I learned what detnation was with a 87 Dodge daytona Shelby Z turbo at 133 mph lol.
That's how I met Carolls son. After hyping my sensors and rollercam,when the cam caught up to the distributer,I had a bomb in piston #1.

Anyways,my moneys on hairline fracture/crack in the chamber all along. As I told you last week,we had guys on the Fal Files that posted pics and info on factory new/unfired guns with cracks in the chamber. Some were of guns they shot for years. Of course they couldn't live with that so they replaced the bbls.
I was test firing a AR I built last year with some of my favorite loads. 25.5gr Varget(middle of the road load) just about knocked me over! It was louder than any other AR I had tryed them in. And all but trashed the brass. I looked it over and I headspaced the it right there and the guadge was tight going in. It was an extremely tight chamber.It was enough to raise the chamber pressures to just above max. That was the first time I had seen trashed brass/pitted primers from sucjh a load. I took her home,cleaned it really good,and returned the next day with some lighter loads and the same batch of 25.5 varget. The light loads shot normal and then I tryed the 25.5 again. Normal. Chambers stretch pretty fast and I think thats what it was.
Any tiny pit or ridge in the chamber of an auto rifle will either fill or flatten out and the brass being pounded arround it will fill it or remove it pretty quickly. Most new rifles are rough chambered anyways.Bolt faces flatten out with firing too. I'd love to reassemble whats left and check it with headspace gadges. I know the chamber stretched from the overpressure but thats only if there was an overpressure to begin with. We will find out what happened if we have to send it to whites laboratories /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif your pal,jerryboy

Randy, I'm glad my prayers were answered, and also that your guardian angels were watching over you. Good luck in the future, and I ask many blessings on the poor lady who puts up with your whimpering !!! LOL!!!
Please let us (me) know the analysis, as I have a 17 rem Contender.
Mark

Oh Boy!!

I agree with Nasa and Jack...that looks like metal fatique and barrel failure. Look closely at the discoloration under the tappings for the scope mount, sure looks like old stress marks to me. Glad to hear your doing OK.

Nikonut:eek:

First off, let me say that I'm glad to hear you are doing Ok Randy. Thank God you have your sight yet. My concern is that if you are considering investigating and possibly persuing a lawsuit that any speculation as to the cause of failure on this message board might be used against you. I am familiar with a firearm failure(a Century Arms CETME sporter) where the individual was posting about said failure and the company tried to use the posts against him. My advice is to be very carefull what you post and by all means contact a lawyer if you haven't already.
If anyone is interested in the CETME failure there is a thread on the "CETME and FR8" forum at Gunboards.com Very intersting reading if anyone has one of these rifles.
Once again, Randy I wish you the best and hope you still are able to enjoy the shooting sports. (I know I would be leary about picking up another gun!)

Hopefully your eye will get back to normal,I never seen one blow like that in a rifle cartridge anyway but I would guess after looking at it more ,I would tend to agree with nasa & jack.My uncle has one of them in .222 rem.he bought in "78 or "79" I think.Good luck with the eye and hope you get better to get back out there.bc /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Back