6mm Ackley Improved

Night_Hawk

12 years ago i had a Rem.700 243 purchsed in 1975 that i had shot the barrel out of and had it rebarreled and chambered to 6mm improved.
Douglas 24" barrel ( pencil thin)
3.5x10 Leupold VX-III (replaced a Leupold 2.5x8 last year)
100gr nosler partition and 100gr speer grandslam
Reloader 22 (healthy dose)
CCI mag primers
ww cases
Results are:
7.5# loaded
3325fps checked on three corny's over the past 12 years
.51 clover leaf grops (if i do my part)
Flat shooting,light weight,easy to carry,great balance accurate. It is my go to rifle.

Tell me about your 6mm improved and what loads you are using.
I worked up this load a week after i got the rifle back and have seen no need to change.If you guys have some loads that are working for you that i can try would appreciate the info.
Like to know what you have and how you like the round.
Hope this finds you all well and sporting.
NH

Thanks genesis for the reply.
It does work and i would be suprised if i could improve on the results much.
In he 12 years that i have been shooting the 6mm improved i have never met anyone that has one.Was wondering how others felt about the round and if they had experience with it along with performance results.

TA
NH

I have a .257 Ackley that I built on a small ring Mauser a few years ago. It is based on same parent case as your 6mm Ackley.
DSCF1202-1.jpg

Great accuracy along with fps.I wish i had it.
When i buitl my 6mm i was torn between the 257imp and the 6mm.I dont know at this time what pushed me to the 6mm.I do know that i was having problems getting the velocity the i thought i should and call a builder in CO. that built mostly 257imp.Canot remember his name at this time but he led the way to the results that i now have with my 6mmimp
I am sure that you know who i am talking about and if so could you let me know because i may very well build my next rifle in 257ack.

Hope this finds you and yours well.
NH

Night_Hawk,
Looking at the velocity you are getting with 100 grain bullets, I am thinking you should have little trouble getting 3600 out of the 80 grainers. Also, don't forget that your 6mm bullets normally have higher B.C. than my quarter bore bullets.

243 AI shooting 115 DTACS at 3250 fps, RL25 48.5 grains, win. cases, Fed. 210m primers, Redding dies

30" SS Broughton 5c barrel 1 in 8 twist

Win. 70, blueprinted action, HS precision stock, marine tex bedded, now with NF 3.5-15x56 NXS(not in pics), NF 20 moa base

502037.jpg

502038.jpg

I offered for sale a SG&Y 6mm AI on here last month with no takers... maybe some stories about this great long range caliber will create some interest.

I just finished a 6AI and love it.

700 action- trued, bolt lugs lapped, speedlock firing pin and shroud, trigger ~2lbs.

HS stock.

I went with a broughton 5c 13 twist for the lightweight stuff. This is my new coyote rifle.

The best load so far afer fireforming(barrel still has under 100 rnds through it) has been 50grains of H414 and a 70gr Nosler. Upper 3700s FPS, 5 shots under 1/2"

I also had a nice load with 58gr Barnes and 48grs I4064- 4127fps and 1/2" 5 shot group.

I plan on using the 70s on coyotes, I have some more loads to try with other bullets though.

Any suggestions in the 55-70gr range let me know.

My only regret- I should have had a custom reamer made so that I could hit the lands with the smaller profile bullets. I cannot seat the light bullets out far enough, plus they will not fit in to the magazine when seated past 2.840". A long action may have been a better choice as well.

Quote:
243 AI shooting 115 DTACS at 3250 fps, RL25 48.5 grains, win. cases, Fed. 210m primers, Redding dies

30" SS Broughton 5c barrel 1 in 8 twist

Win. 70, blueprinted action, HS precision stock, marine tex bedded, now with NF 3.5-15x56 NXS(not in pics), NF 20 moa base

502037.jpg

502038.jpg

One nice rig, and scope. Y2C have u seen the new Tubb 117 MJPT (Match Jacket Plastic Tip)? I just purchased 500 of them for 108$ total shipped. Suppose to have a BC of right at .6. I was thinking the plastic tip may help with terminal ballistics downrange.

I have a 6AI also from years ago. Killed several long-range coyotes with that setup. Never could get the 87 V-Max to shoot, which is what i wanted. It did shoot the 87 Horn BTHP well under MOA most of the time. My 1st calculated long-range shot was made with that bullet @ 485 yds. using a 6-24X Burris BMD reticle. Interestingly I made a +500 yd. shot with that rig/bullet also on a cactus leaf once using the 4-12X Burris Mini plex reticle/tgt. turret. This rig was one of my favorite post-fur season setups.

Please keep the info coming.

I wanted to build a 6mm Rem AI for a long time now.

I battle to get hold of a Rem 700 action here in South Africa.

Where do you guys buy actions?

A 75gr Vmax should do great on jackal here in Africa.

Gerhard

Did a search and found this post. I am waiting on a custom reamer that is designed to get the 87 Vmax out to the rifling, but still feeds through the Remington Short action. I have a left hand Remington VSF that has a new barrel, jewell trigger and has been trued. I also have a LH .243 CDL that I am ging to be chambering with the 6mm AI as well, more of a carry rifle than the above varmint gun.

AW.

I had a rifle changed out to a 223AI and am in love with it. I've been considering doing the 6AI with a Rem 700. Do you fireform brass by just firing a 6mm in it or is there something else to it?

Night hawk, seems to me that with a 24" barrel in the 6mm case re22 may be a tad slow, ya ever try IMR 4831, or 4350? the Hodgdon line should do well also but is a tad slower than IMR. BTW I shoot a 6.5 gibbs, a 6.5/06 improved to the max and a 7mm Allen Mag, a 7mm/338 lapua improved
RR

Back