Why are electronic calls illegal for mountain lions?

2shorthairs

In researching game laws I have found that most states with mountain lion seasons do not allow the use of electronic calls when hunting lions. Does anyone know the rationale behind this?
Personally if you are going to call lions I would not recomend doing it with a mouth call. That is if you value your health.

That is because many states consider lions as game animals. Some states just lump all game animals under some umbrella rule and outlaw electronics for taking them.

True, thats how it is here in CO. I have called up a few lions, as it happens they were all with hand calls but it seems not well thought through to exclude electronic callers for lions and bears.

Here in SoDak they sell unlimited tags for $15 to residents but season closes as soon the ML quota is met. I think that most guys are using elk mew or fawl bawl. What calls are the best for ML hunting? Got a FX3 for X-mas and hope to get out to the Black Hills and try to call a cat.

I understand that mountain lions are considered a big game animal but other than bear no other big game animals are allowed to be taken with hounds either. There are only two practical ways to target lions. Run them with hounds or call them. Hounds are the more productive.

What is the best way to get Fish and Game to reconsider a current law?

It looks like you just need to move. But not to Nevada, I have discovered it is legal only because we don't have any. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

It Is Illegal to: Use any electrically or mechanically recorded calling device to take or try to take protected species except protected furbearers, cougars and nongame species - New Mexico GF /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

i'll be calling cougar and bear here in washington state wed's morning. you cant bait, use dog's or trap. this is all we loss to the anti's.Rick

I got a question for you Rick. I saw where you were going to try misting for bears. A- do you think this is safe and B- How does the local F&G look at scents and or lures? Is that a form of baiting? If you can use scents, how about trying some of those sticks you light on fire that smell like 50 lbs of rotting fish or even berries.

Lance good question. i'm going to use blacktailed deer, elk and coyoteurine in a spray bottle to confuse them like Rich Higgins doe's coyote's in his video. i can only do it if the wind is in there favor. i'm using it as a cover scent.

Here is what Fosteology got from the game department. he is trying to get a name to go with it. going to carry a copy with me. Rick

Response from the Regional Office:

RCS 77.16.360 It is unlawful to

item " d" states as used in this subsection, "bait" means a substance placed, exposed, deposited, distributed, scattered, or otherwise used for the purpose of attracting black bears to an area where one or more persons hunt or intend to hunt them.

Use of a scent to disguise yourself is not illegal.

Last edited:
Idaho - They consider Mtn Lions big game so you can not use electronic calls. But I guess they are not big game animals in units 41 and 42 because you can use a call in those units. The other 70 some units you can't use them? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Back