Red dot and iron sights - do you use them for coyote hunting?

GJJ

How many of you use these for coyote hunting? I have heard over the years and my personal experience confirms that most shots happen less than 100 yards. A coyote is a small target. But, it should not be a challenge for a good marksman with a set of irons or a good Aimpoint.

If you use a scope, what does it do for you that irons or a red dot don't?

I'm now using an EOTech. I haven't got a chance to take it coyote hunting yet, but range tests have shown it has advantages over a scope inside 100 yards, which is where I'm going to be seeing predators if hunting around here. I have a set of folding iron sights co-witnessed with it just in case. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I have an Aimpoint 9000sc on my scattergun and love it!
[image]
chet005.jpg
[/image]

I also have a Mueller red dot 3 X 9 scope on my 22mag and like that as well. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I have mounted an EO-Tech as well that co-exists with my iron sights.

I started out using a 2-7x scope and found that my old eyesight was losing the crosshairs in brushy area when the time for a shot was very limited.

In competition shoots, at 2x, the scope was good, but the EO-Tech works better for me as most of the shooting is 100yds or less there as well.

I placed a Aimpoint CompC3 on a Savage model 10 in .243. I have not had a chance to hunt with it yet, but I have put in a little range time with it. It is very quick to get on target. It also gives me the advantage in low light over a rifle with open sights. One thing to remember is that the dots are usually 2 MOA and in some cases will cover less of the target than a shotgun bead or rifle blade.

Quote:
...the dots are usually 2 MOA...

The EOTech is 1 MOA surrounded by a 65 MOA circle. I believe it's the smallest dot available, based on my research.

I have a cheap BSA 30mm dot on top of my 223 Contender. I use it for my son and sometimes me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif... it works great. I use it more for hunting in the woods and CRP when my partner is taking his shotgun. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

rickysm223.jpg

My son with the T/C Contender and the BSA dot scope.

I don't have any experience with the red dot, but if I plan to hunt in thick stuff I do sometimes use a lever action 30-30 with peep (ghost ring) and front firefly bead. It provides very quick and accurate target acquisition on close in moving targets.

The advantage of a scope (IMHO) is only at longer ranges. I often set up an e-caller a fair ways away from me, and even using hand calls it's sometimes possible in open country to see them coming in from a looooong way out. With me on a hillside and the caller 100-300YDs (or more) away, a scope is a huge advantage. If they hang up at extended ranges I can often see them too. Sometimes I'll try to coax them in closer, as much as anything just to watch their responses to different sounds. Sometimes I just shoot them where they are.

Red dots allow you to shoot in extremely low-light conditions. Plus, they have zero-parallax(sp?). This means that as long as the red dot is on the target when the trigger is pulled the bullet will hit. It's a bit more complicated than that, but that's the main idea, and it works great! Plus, in my opinion, red-dots are great even at longer ranges(out to 250 at least), considering you're comfortable w/ your gun and known its drop. Scopes do zoom in though, so they certainly help more from 250 on out. Take it or leave it. That's my 2 cents.

Bushnell makes Eotech, at least that what the guy behind the gun counter at Cabelas told me the other day. Bushnell makes a smaller red dot type sight with a crosshair ring around it just like the Eotech. Eotech is made mainly for military and police applications and is built a little more rugged. The Bushnell I looked at seemed plenty solid and I cant wait to put one on my AR-15 and maybe get a second mount for my Mossberg 935. check out the Eotech web site

Quote:

Re-Assurance and lots of dead coyotes.

Killing coyotes is tough enough as it is, why make things harder than they have to be?

Quote:
Quote:

Re-Assurance and lots of dead coyotes.

Killing coyotes is tough enough as it is, why make things harder than they have to be?

+1 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Put a fixed 4x scope on and go shoot some coyotes.

I've been trying to decide if I want a red dot or a variable power scope on my AR15.... I don't have iron sights on it so it will be optics only.

I use a 3-12 power scope for my coyote hunting. The 3 power allows quick and easy views at close ranges, but the 12 power allows for better distant shooting.

Back