changing scopes

coyote/hunter

have only had a burris 4.5 X 14 on my coyote rifle for about 8 months now but I am not satisfied with my feild of veiw for real close running shots, so am thinking of selling it and putting a 2.8 X 10 simmons wide angle on it now.
anyone think I am amking a mistake doing this? The 2.8 gives me 44 ft. wear as my 4.5 has only 22ft. of veiw

No it's not a mistake, as far as power goes anyway, I have used a 2x7 scope for many years and rarely turned it above 2 power, I sold a 4.5x14 leupold simply because it was dificult to get on target when they came in close and fast. I'm now trying a 1.75x6 leupold on my AR, so far it's perfect! I also have a 3x9 on my sako but it stays on 3 power most of the time. You just don't need high magnification on a calling rifle. I even had great success with an eo-tech holosight with no magnification.

Also practice on bringing the stock up to the same position everytime with both eyes open.When you focus through the scope what you see with your eye should appear somewhere in the scope.Not centered everytime but closer the more you work at it.If your in real tight conditions I would say its a good decision.

I have 2 Simmons Aetec 2.8-10x44. Love them both. Also have a 4.5-14x50. Groups didn't shrink any when i went to the Loopy. I think you will be happy.

I have three scopes on my carry rifles. Two are Leupolds 1.5 X 5 and 2 X 7 the remaining scope is a B & L 4200 2.5 X 10. They all pretty much stay on minimum power.

thanks for the input guy's.
crapshoot I am really leaning throwd the aetec simmons 2.5x10 scope also. it seems to have the wideest range on low power than any of the other scopes plus I have a freind who has on and he also loves it.

Coyote.......I am with JACK on this one!

First off getting a new great quaility scope that is functional for you to use in your type of hunting is a very good idea. However I would just forget about ALL those Simmions or Tasco and what ever else might come to mind, if it is NOT a Leupold with matching rings and mounts.

Jacks....1.5 x 5 is an excellent power for what your seeking. Most hunters can't even begin to hold a scope mounted rifle on anything past 4 power. I myself have one like Jacks and 3 which are the 2 x 7 Leupolds. I seldom ever run them off of the 2 power setting. Leupold has the best warranty and service department in the scope industry today bar-none.

Back