Wireless E-Caller - detailed parts list

Hyperwrx

Inspired by many of the great e-callers found on here I opted to build one of my own 1st before purchasing a FoxPro.

Picture A- Plano ammo box with tray and water-tight, housing the largest cone speaker I could get at Radio Shack (8 ohm 25 watt rms/50 max). You can see the wireless antenna poking out of the lid. The remote consists of a Nady 351 transmitter velcro'd to a Dell 20 gig MP3 player.

Picture B- (Left to right)- 18 watt Radio Shack amplifier fed from the Nandy wireless receiver. It has a rubber antenna bent around going out the hinged lid. The red/black wire coming up through the tray is from the power source below.

Picture C- Top of box to the left is the 9.6v Ni-Cd rechargable battery pack velcro'd to the side. Horn Speaker attached to the bottom and siliconed into at the opening I cut. All the electronic compenents in the box are powered by the Ni-Cd battery pack. I just flick a switch and the box is live.

I can easily transmit 50-70 yards and if terrain is unobstructed 100.

The wireless transmitter set me back $120. Everyone else was cheap. I bet I sunk (not including the Dell mp3 player) $175-185 for everything.

Contact me if you have questions on it's construction.

ecaller1.jpg

ecaller2.jpg

ecaller3.jpg

Meow!!!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

That is "Thats the Cats Meow"..... That baby is 23 Skidoo /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Dave

Quote:
That is really nice looking and is compact. How does it sound? Thanks!

Pretty good. I have found the sound of your box has a lot to do with the quality of the sounds you are transmitting. Crappy recordings transmit poorly from your box. Likewise- high quality calls come out crystal clear and loud.

BTW- It's on ebay right now. I am going to go for the king of calls , an FX5.

That is really a neat caller and it should be a dandy! I have the FX5 and yes, it is the best of them all. Previously I owned the WT and I like my FX5 a lot more. I had the FX3 and heard so much about how good the upgrade was so I just sent it off. What I like most about the FX5 are the presets and knowing your volume...I don't see how this caller can be improved on!!

Nice Job!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Quote:
Hyperwrx
Do you have the Nady hooked up to the 9.6 power supply also?

im wondering the same thing. i dont think 9.6 would burn up the receiver but i havent tried yet.
i do have a 9.6 battery running the amp though, and it works fine. id rather burn up a $15 amp than a $100 receiver.

So to make my ecaller which is a homemade one into remote caller I need the Nady or Azden transmitter and receiver and do the appropriate wiring, etc.? How difficult is it to do for a novice like me with electronics? Can I get the most expensive parts the transmitter & receiver on Ebay...if one guys sells one part and another guy sells the other will they work together or what do I have to watch out for to match up the parts? Thanks.

Joe

I see Hyperwax hasn't replied yet so I'll answear at least one of the questions. The 9.6 volt battery will NOT burn up or damage a Nady or Azden receiver. I agree, you don't see any wiring, but I would be surprised if Hyper is not using the 9.6 to power the Nady along with the amp.
One point to be aware of when charging. It's not uncommon for the wall wart chargers to put out 12 volts (or more) when charging these 9.6 volt packs. I would make darn sure the caller system is designed so that when the charger is plugged into the battery there is NO chance the higher voltage can go through the Nady or amp. This can easily be done by installing the on/off switch in the correct place and making darn sure the switch is OFF while charging.
Hope that might help some of you guys.

Joe L... Yes e-bay is a good place to watch for a good deal on a Nady or Azden trans/rec set.
And yes, if you know what to look for, can buy a receiver from one seller and a transmitter from another. BUT BEWARE....The Nady's (both 151's and 351's) are made in a BUNCH of different channels (frequencies). If you buy a transmitter in channel A from one seller and the receiver in channel F from another, you pretty much now own a worthless trans/rec set as they will not work together. It's just best to buy these in a set in my opinion.
The Azdens...... Azden Corp. has made many, many models over the years. The most current model, the model that works the best and the ones everybody uses is the Azden Pro series. As long as it is the *PRO* model of Azden, you are pretty safe buying a transmitter from one seller and a receiver from a different one. All of the PRO series Azdens are two frequency selectable, but they are all the same 2 frequencies.
Hope that helps.

Hey did a little search and found the Nady wireless bodypack lavaliere microphone system on ebay for $39 with $18 shipping and on Target for $56 including shipping if anyone is interested?

They are not the 351 but they do come with the same effective range guarantee from Nady. Other than gaining another operating channel it doesn't seem that you gain anything from going with the more expensive 351 over what I ordered from Target:
"Nady Lavaliere Wireless Microphone System - DKW-1 LT"
$49.99 for a total of $56 with shipping.
I do not know anything more than what I read off of the Nady web page on their product specs for their wireless remote systems so please correct me if I am wrong.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

I could be wrong but from what I was reading on the one you have ordered it is going to require ac power for the reciever. Let me know if I am wrong. I have been looking for days trying to figure out exactly what to order. It would be great if someone gave us a link or a website with exact description of what we will need.

Last edited:
Back