primer question

ksgunner

I have been using small rifle magnum primers with w748. I need to know if I can use any other primers. I'm having trouble finding the small rifle magnum primers. The reloading manual I have only shows these primers with the w748. Thanks for any help you guys can give me.

Welcome to the board ksgunner! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I have had good results using regular Winchester primers with 748.

Jack

I did some testing in my backyard range (60yds) with my .223 NEF Handi rifle. I loaded 10 rds of 55gr Hornaday SPSX's with W748... used 5 WSR and 5 CCI 400 primers. The test showed that the CCI's were slightly more accurate than the WSR primers. CCI 400 are the only primers I now use in my .223. They work great with my other .223 loads as well.

Ksgunner, "ALL" Win ball and Hodgdon's(sp?) spherical powders such as H380 & H414 need magnum primers. Magnum "MATCH" primers are even better. Mine are Fed 215 match.

Without it, your groups will "normally" be extremely inconsistant. Not always, but normally! I had a previous 22-250 that shot outstanding without mag primers, but my current 22-250 will not. Again with these types of powders only.

I have proven this to myself over thousands of reloads and know this to be true. Also, these powder manufacturers will tell you the same thing. Or is at least what they told me, AFTER many years of testing of course. Talk about learning the hard way.

Happy Shooting

I never had any luck with 748 and a standard small rifle primer. A hot federal primer (small rifle) is what works the best.

Better add, was in a .223 rem.

Glad my daughter did not hear she had to use magnum primers. She had no trouble at all getting a master card in high power using Win regular primers for the 223 with 748.

What is posted on the scoreboard is the bottom line.

Jack

I have read and ignored that for years. Try both for your gun but.... I have loaded 748, pounds of the stuff in 22-250 and ppc and found my accuracy is with cci small rifle not mag primers. May not work for all but has is mine and others who were foolish eneogh to bring their rifles over to play. S.N.

I use W748 in 223 and 30-30. Winchester Small Rifle in the 223, and a standard primer in the 30-30, I'd have to look but I'm pretty sure I use a Winchester Large Rifle.

The 223 is an AR-15, shoots sub-MOA. The 30-30 is a Marlin 336 lever action, will shoot within 1.5 inches at 100 yards over the hood of a truck. Never actually shot it from a bench, might be able to do a little better.

Thanks for the help guy's. I have always used the w748 and didn't want to change powders if I didn't have to. I guess I should have stated I am reloading for a 223, actually 3 of them. I just liked the way this powder worked for me. Again thanks for the help and welcome. I've been lurking on the board for along time and finally decided to register.

I have heard that the Winchester regular primers are hotter than other regular primers because Winchester has a lot of ball powders. I have no idea if this is true.

Jack

According to all the "stats" that have been written, I'll have to agree with Jack Roberts on Win748 and WSR primers. As usual there is always the exception for individual weapons. However reloaders need to consider all the components, both cartridge components and weapon components. Such as; primer, case, powder and bullet brand and style. Same for the weapon; auto, lever, bolt, etc., barrel length and twist rate. Lots of variations, Lots of varied results. Only a rule of thumb, but, usually medium to fast burn powders do not require a mag. primer. However ball powders are treated a little different. But, as Jack Roberts stated, "Win primers are a little hotter". I only can imagine that the previous statements are really going to cause a stir.

If you change primers, then be sure to start over again, work your loads back up. Primers make a huge difference in a load. Go with a colder primer than what you've been using and pull the trigger, you might hear click...(crickets chirping).....KABOOM! I did that with a Steyr 25-06 using H-414 and WLR primers. The same powder and primer I use in my tack-driver .338 WM.

As far as I can determine, magnum primers are not even recommended by any of my loading manuals in the .223 or .222 magnum when using 748 powder. I have used 748 for years in these calibers and find that they perform flawlessly with Remington 71/2 (benchrest) primers. The magnum primers have a hotter and longer flash than standard primers. They do boost pressures considerably over that of the standard primers. Match or benchrest primers are not hotter than a standard primer (within the same brand), they are simply far more uniform in the amount of primimg mixture - much better quality control. I prefer the benchrest primers, but they really don't make a huge difference over the standard primers.

Wiley

Slow getting back to you ks gunner. I shoot black powder cartridege silouette up by emporia once a month. I from se kansas originally, now sw missouri. Play with the regular small rifle primers, I think you be happy with them. Every rifle acts a little different. The comment earlier is right on the mark as far as that goes. And always starting at the bottom and working up with any new component is always a reloading rule that should be observed. The small primers have worked flawless for me in 223 ans 22 -250 with win 748. I use cci and winchester primers if that helps. Good luck. Sharps-Nut

When I bought my chronograph I did an experiment with my 22-250. Same load only changed primers-H380 powder-CCI 250 mag- CCI 200 & CCI Benchrest.
Normal load was The Mag primers, when I tried the other two I lost about 200 FPS. Every gun is a law unto its self- it pays to check.

Back