257 roberts

Rem17

I just picked up a remington 700 BDl deluxe in 257 roberts and it's a tack driver shooting remington 117gr corelock!

I plan on reloading this rifle and wonder if anyone has any experiance with this caliber and bullet choices/load data for coyote and boars?

TKS

I've had a couple, had best results with 100 grain bullets and H4350. Nosler solid base was always good. I never could get the speeds that people said they were getting. 2900 was doable. Always thought 120's were a little to heavy for the Roberts. 87 grain worked ok but didnt think of it has a predator gun. Denny

Sounds like you picked up a very good rifle.

Sorry no load data, since I shoot at 25-06, but I'd recommend the 115-117s for deeer/boar, or the 75-87s for varmints. Though some people with QuarterBores like the multi-purpose 100 grains slug for everything.

We have two Coopers in .257 Roberts AI so our load information won't do you much good but we have had good accuracy with the Hornady 75g. VMax, 117g Sierra GK and Nosler 115g blue tips. We like the bigger bullets for pigs but they all blow right through coyotes' boilerroom without much expansion and drop them on the spot. Just got a .17 Rem that I'm loading with 25g Bergers in hopes of no exit hole on the furs next winter.

I have 2 and I love them. One a original pre 64 m70 and the other a pre 64 action with custom barrel and stock. Both like the 100 gr Sierra with 4350. They put deer and antelope down to stay. Going to use it out west this fall.

Rem17,

Welcome to PM. The 257Roberts and either one of the 4340 powders were made for each other. As others have said here the 100gr bullets in the 257 BOB will get the job done for you. If a heavier bullet is desired the Hornady 117 gr bullets either in a soft point or the red tip will suffice
for 257BOb velocitys.

Hog

46-H4350 with the 100 Hornady flat base gets me just over 3000 in my Ruger 22" barrel with absolutely no pressure signs. Put one through a mature buck last fall, short ribs on the near side to front of shoulder on the other. As far as I know the bullet is still going. That combo is going to Wyo. this fall for Antelope, along with it's older mate, a M77MKI in .250 Savage
For Coyotes try H4895 with a 75 gr. Sierra. Works great in the 3 .257 Roberts I have tried it in. Just hope you can sew, at 3500+ it's not gonna be too good for pelts.

Last edited:
45 grains of H-4350 with 100 grain Nosler Partitions work best in my Ruger 77 257 Roberts.
Lots of others use H-4350 in their 257's too.

Martyn

Good Score on the BDL. I was looking for one of those for a while but a Ruger Mark I in .257 came up and I jumped on that deal.

Hornady or Sierra 100's and H4350 Deer and Hogs, Nosler Partitions as well.

Varmints/Coyotes - Warning Pelt damage if you hit bone. 87 Gr Sierra's Varget or H4350 or 100 gr Nosler Bal tips very explosive on bone.

I have used IMR 4350 and Varget with a slight accuracy advantage to Varget. The Sierra 90gr Gameking is a good allround bullet that is very accurate.

Quote:
Rem17,

Welcome to PM. The 257Roberts and either one of the 4340 powders were made for each other. As others have said here the 100gr bullets in the 257 BOB will get the job done for you. If a heavier bullet is desired the Hornady 117 gr bullets either in a soft point or the red tip will suffice
for 257BOb velocitys.

Hog

Did you mean to type 4350 for the powder of choice?

I hunted with a riend who used a 257 Roberts using the 87 grain Sierras. It was a great predator rifle. Very accurate. We hunted for points, not fur.

Quote:
Quote:
Rem17,

for 257BOb velocitys.

Hog

Did you mean to type 4350 for the powder of choice?

Yes I did, many thanks for the proof read.

Now you know why I do not type charge weights.

Hog /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I don't have one, but the buddy that I share reloading equipment does. He uses h4350 and shoots sub one inch groups. He uses the 80something VMax and prefers the 115PT for deer/pigs and the BT when their are no pigs. capt david /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Back