Coyote hearing ability

browning204

What is a coyotes hearing ability? We all know that coyotes can hear sounds that humans can't but, I have heard that they can listen to 10 sounds and process each one individual.

so whats the deal and how do we know this?

You're the one that made this statement:

Quote:
coyotes can listen to 10 noises at one and process each noise by themselves.

You tell us!

Browning204,
I am not a biologist, but I'm fairly certain that the average coyote can hear several times better than I can. I will try to list ten sounds that I hear pretty often at same time, and my old ears can sort em all out.
1. Neighbors dog barking
2. Car drives down the street past mt house
3. Kid in that car had his boom box blaring.
4. I hear my windows rattle from noise of the boom box
5. train whistle blows in the distance.
6 The engine of the locomotive moans as train moves down the track.
7. My daughter's stereo is still playing
8. The wife is snoring again
9 Jet plane passes overhead.
10. My voice mumbles words that I can't post here.

Quote:
You're the one that made this statement:

Quote:
coyotes can listen to 10 noises at one and process each noise by themselves.

You tell us!

Just trying to get different opinions on this situation.

Do you have something to add Weasel?

These are some quotes that I took from another web-page on sound reproduction. Although this is one source of info, it should give people something to consider.

""A lot of animals including coyotes can hear up to 45 thousand cycles per second which is approx. 3 times higher than humans. Beavers are thought to hear sounds as high as 60 thousand cycles per second.""

""Another issue is what sounds (frequencies) animal ears are most sensitive to. Most predators hear high and low frequencies at least 5 times better than humans do. Human ears are most sensitive to and actually amplify mid-range sound which is about the frequency range of human voice (approx. 500 to 3500 cycles per second).""

b204, I am interested in seeing scientific research/evidence that could back up those claims. I'm sure it's out there or you wouldn't have posted anything knowing it might be erroneous information. I'm not quite sure what you mean by "process each noise by themselves". Am I correct in assuming that you mean the coyote can hear 10 noises that are audible at the same time and distinguish the source and direction of each sound? Thanks for your input! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Quote:
b204, I am interested in seeing scientific research/evidence that could back up those claims. I'm sure it's out there or you wouldn't have posted anything knowing it might be erroneous information. I'm not quite sure what you mean by "process each noise by themselves". Am I correct in assuming that you mean the coyote can hear 10 noises that are audible at the same time and distinguish the source and direction of each sound? Thanks for your input! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Weasel I to am interested in seeing scientific evidence. That is why I started this thread.

Yes you are correct, thats what I mean about the 10 sounds at once.

I hope this will be an educating thread, or we can just go back to "you can't call coyotes in my back yard" kinda stuff.

Okay, Now I'm getting it. I was wondering if you recalled where you heard about coyotes processing 10 sounds at once. That could be a good place to start. Oh, I'll never say that you or anybody else can't call coyotes in my backyard. The following picture was actually taken in my backyard. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Image2.jpg

We've had everything from house cats to mountain lions back there.

no, you didn't say that.

I do recall where the info I posted come form but, lets hear from some of the "experts" or one of the Biologists that hang out here.

My experience's have me believe a coyote can pin-point one of many noises that may/do occur @ the same time. That noise, doesn't have to be the loudest. I have no proof other than observations.

One of my Bro's who occasionally stalk/hunts coyotes with me, Winter snowfly. Use to believe a stalker could drown out his noise. During high winds, while stalking in on a coyote. I advised him otherwise. "Don't fool yourself".

I've stalked & crawled up on coyotes in very high, quartering, crosswinds & down-winds. Some made me, from around the 3-500yrds marker. Other's busted me from close to a 1/2 mile away on mildly loud snow cover.

When their bedded down, they have their backside to the wind. Often around here, they bed near the top of a hill or around 1/2 down the hillside. Wind rippin over their backside. They still hear very well, from afar. Especially up & down wind.
----------------

Last Winter, I spotted one sitting on the 1/2 mile fenceline. Snow was mildly loud. This coyote was staring hard @ something, to my right. He never moved. I got to withing 250yrds est. I made some noise going in. Coyote, never looked my way once, until I started in with my Pee-Wee. I was trying to draw him into a low spot for a shot.

Coyote was indifferent & causually walked on over the hill top. No doubt he heard me, stalk in.

Last edited:
Very good Crapshoot! You get an A+ for paying attention!!

Regardless of where the info source came from, that is food for thought.

Now there are sposed to be Biologist and other "experts" on this forum. Lets hear what they have to say and how they know this information.

I don't see anyone else posting up info.

Crapshoot, do you have anything of value to offer this thread?

p.s. Crapshoot, I am sure Mr. Martz really thanks you for the free plug to his web-site.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Do I have some site I can copy and paste off of and claim to be truths reguarding to coyote hearing ? No. Do I have any "scientific studies" I have done my self? Sure. I can positivly tell you that a coyote can hear a lip squeek at several hundreds of yards away. Hows that for real world.

And you can tell Bill he's welcome.

Quote:
Do I have some site I can copy and paste off of and claim to be truths reguarding to coyote hearing ? No. Do I have any "scientific studies" I have done my self? Sure. I can positivly tell you that a coyote can hear a lip squeek at several hundreds of yards away. Hows that for real world.

And you can tell Bill he's welcome.

crapshoot: if you read my first post you will see that I wrote that it is one opinion and it should be used to work from.

I NEVER claimed it to be truths or set in stone. As far as the lip squeeks, yes that is true, everyone knows that but I am looking for not so much real world but an answer from someone who has studied and tested these area of coyotes. Or at least where we can find such info.

Just tryin to make something we all can learn from.

Now I am gonna have to take that A+ away from you as it is clear that you were NOT paying attention after all. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

And I will tell Bill that You said he is welcome.

I can say from experience that a coyote has no problem hearing and pinpointing within 3 degrees the sound of a safety being carefully moved on a M700 at 150 yards.

Jack

Back