22 Magnum For Coyotes

deerhunter34

In your opinion is the 22 Magnum enough for coyotes? I want to get a dedicated coyote gun, instead of using my shotgun. I can't really afford a centerfire(I'm just 15) And I have seriously been looking at a 22 Magnum. Where I hunt is usually creek bottoms and maybe some small feilds so shots won't be over 100 yds. I have about $250 dollars to spend on a gun so I can easily afford a 22 Magnum but any centerfires are out of my price range. I was just going to use my 22 LR with high velocity bullets but after reading some posts on here I decided against it. Would you recomend any guns for that price?

For $250 you can get a good used .223, or even a new NEF. Don't set your expectations too high and hold out for a more expensive gun. .22 mags are not a good coyote caliber, especially for someone just starting out. I have a .22 mag and have never used it on coyote. Rabbits, ground squirrels, coon, and skunk yes. .22 Hornet, .223, .243, and .270 are what I use for coyote. Don't be too proud to work your way up to a high dollar gun, son. Ain't everybody born rich.

DH34,Nasa gave you some good advice. I think that nef in 223 at walmart is around $218 or so and you'd be a lot happier I think with that than the 22mag,not that the 22mag wont kill a coyote but there'll be a lot cleaner kills with the 223.just pick up a scope in your price range for right now then when you can afford a better one,get it.best of luck,daveyboy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks for the replys. I will look at an NEF in .223. What is the difference between 22 Hornet and .223? I know nothing about centerfire rifles and neither does any body I know. There's not a lot of use for them around here. I have an NEF shotgun but I didn't know they made rifles. I picked up the shotgun for $85 so I know there high quality for the price. Neither me or my dad reload but we might start if I get one of those rifles. Like I said I probabl won't be past 100 yds but if I do how far can I shoot with a .223 or .22 Hornet.

Thats a good point about the ammo being as cheap as 22 mag. Probably cheaper!!
Also a much better choice in caliber!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

The 223 is about 1000 fps faster with any given bullet weight, also you can buy 223's cheaper, I buy ultramax reman ammo from cabelas for about 76.00 per 300, these are soft point hunting loads. The 223 is good for yotes to about 300 yds.

RR

Your question was a great start to learning about what to use. I also suggest that you read everything you can on the .223 Rem on the web and a good reloading manual. The reason I say this is because it is true that a 223 can kill a coyote out to 300 yards well you will need to know the trajectory of the particular bullet at 100, 200 and 300 yards to be accurate. I support the decision to forego the 22 mag for the 223 but get a good idea of its capabilities. "We're not in rimfire country anymore, Toto."

Deerhunter34, I see you are from Southern Illinois. I saw a couple of those rifles used at a gunshop in Altamont, Illinois a week or so ago. I believe one with a scope was $250 or so. Shoot me an e-mail at xxxtooldummy@yahoo.com (leave off the x's)

just checked the price of a 223 synthetic stock super light at a local walmart...187.00!!!!!thats cheap...cant go wrong either they shoot awesome. i have one with a walnutstock and bull barrel and it only cost 209.00. i just put a cheap tasco 29.99 3x9x40 scope on it and shoot factory federal .55 grain nosler tips about 14 bucks per box and they leave no exit hole. and im shooting about 1-1.5 5 shot groups at 100 yards. so you could get a .223 for 187 a scope for 30 and a good box of ammo for $232+ tax.

Deerhunter34,

If you decide on the NEF in .223, let me know and I will send you an older Speer reloading manual if you like. It is probably 10 years old, but will teach you the basics of reloading. If you really think you want to begin reloading, the manual is yours, free of charge. Love to see others start reloading. A great hobby and you will enjoy shooting/hunting that much more if you load your own.

Brent

Allow me to further echo the suggestions towards the NEF in .223. Excellent suggestion for a low cost, accurate centerfire coyote killer. I picked up mine for around $185, on sale. Found a Tasco World Class 3x9x55 on sale for about 60 bones. I've been tickled pink ever since!

deerhunter34,

I believe you have already made up your mind on a .223Rem caliber, and I know that this story of mine is not the exact same as using a .22mag on coyote. However, I believe the point of the story is very relative.

Many years ago I was squirrel hunting with a Ruger MarkII pistol. While sitting in a favorite spot, extremely still, eyes closed & about to doze off, a couple squirrels started barking within 20 yards. I could see one which was about 15 to 20 feet up in a tree on a knot where the tree had changed its direction of growth. I couldn't see what they were barking at, but I knew it wasn't me. All of the sudden a "different" furball appeared on the knot. It was a bobcat. The squirrel escaped. I sat there amazed for too long and he(it) slowly came down and went through a small gully. When he came back into sight at about 20 yards, I put the sights behind his shoulder and squeezed the trigger. Well, he screeched, jumped, and bolted through the ground cover. I waited about thirty minutes and then began searching for blood & hair. Well, I found NOTHING. I attempted to track him, i.e. I walked in the direction he ran. I was quite anxious trying to trail a wounded cat with a .22LR handgun. I never found it.

I was young when that huge disappointment happened and I share the story to prevent others from having the same disappointment. The same goes for deer hunting. You want to make sure you use a proper caliber that will kill quickly and leave a decent blood trail IF the particular animal you shoot is "tougher" than most. I'm not saying go overboard (.50BMG for coyote), but try to get something that will produce the desired results. I believe the .223Rem will do it for you.

Back