22 magnum for coyotes....??

kenpo

How about the 22 magnum for coyotes? You fellas think this is another 'head shot only' gun, or does the added punch the magnum has make it more suitable than a 17 hmr for taking coyotes with a well placed body shot?

Where I hunt/call no shot will ever be over 150 yards max, due to terrain a guy's lucky to even be able to see 100 yards. Fairly populated (human populated) area, so rimfires are a logical choice, especially during night hunting. I've taken a good number of red fox with a 22 mag, anywhere from 40 yards out to 150 yards using 40 grain JHP's. I have yet to get a coyote in to even get a shot at it (I swear red fox are easier to call in than coyotes.)

Anyway, anyone here take coyotes with a 22 mag? Is it 'enough gun' for body shots on coyotes?

22 WMR would not be my first choice for coyotes. It will kill them, and you will get runners if you shoot enough. However, I guess you will get runners eventually with any cartridge, if you shoot enough.

I got a 22WMR just for the sole purpose of hunting coyotes in areas that are restricted to rimfires only. All other areas I'll use my centerfires.

Sorry I can't help you much here.

OK, understand I'm not trying to put a burr under anyone's saddle, but... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif
Is it "possible" to take a coyote with a .22 Mag? Yes.
Is it a reliable choice? In my opinion, NO.
I have no doubt about taking fox & bobcats with it.
But both are a lot smaller than coyotes.
You give the terrain, but not the area of the U.S. you are hunting. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif
Coyotes do vary in sizes in differing regions.
But even so, most coyotes are tough & have a strong will to live, even if mortally wounded. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
You say "fairly populated"...how close are the homes/ect. to where you are wanting to hunt? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif
Logically, you're not shooting towards any populated areas. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
But, if the nearest building is a couple miles away {in the direction of aim}, & the terrain is such that richocets/ect are not probable [note: I didn't say possible] ...then check into a smaller centerfire.
If the housing/terrain make using a centerfire conciensely objectionable,[sp] then I suggest calling the coyotes in closer & using a shotgun. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
Or, if you don't care about pelts, use the shotgun, but with slugs to extend your range a bit.

These are my opinions, & others may disagree. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
But, the only way I would knowingly use a rimfire of any caliber for coyotes is if, by law, I had no choice. But that's just me.

I've shot enough coyotes with one to know they work just fine if you can track one a little ways once in a while. I lost no more with my 22mag then I would have with any other gun. Now I only use the shotgun.

They can be a good choice where you are limited to rimfire, though I wouldn't want to use it much past 75YDs or so even on our little desert coyotes. Hit one in the boiler room at that range and you can be pretty sure he will die, though he may run and you may not recover him.

Obviously not the best choice if you have other options, but it will work.

I for one believe in the .22 mag for coyotes. As Leon mentioned, keeping the shots from 75-100 yards. Most if not all will run a bit but nothing some well honed tracking skills can't solve.
Frontal chest shots leave very little blood, if at all, broadside shots leave a little more blood and head shots I won't even try on a good day, too much blood.

We are limited to rimfires only, at least for 5 of the best coyote hunting months of the year due to extended deer seasons. We could use shotguns for coyotes, but no slugs.

Mainly was wondering if head shots were the only effective shot with a 22 mag. I feel if I'm 1 or 2 inches off with the boiler room shot, I'm still in the vitals. Although, 1-2 inches off on a brain pan shot could be an entirely different story.

Couple opinions here on keeping shots at 75-100 yards, that's something to think about.

Anyone have opinions about the ammo I'm using being as productive for coyotes as it is on fox? 40 Grain JHP's, they do a good job on fox, so I assume that would be fine for coyotes too...

In NY if you hunt during any open deer season you may not use a center fire rifle in any area that does not allow center fire for deer. I guess they made that law because they know if you use a center fire in an area which does not allow center fire for deer you will be sure to poach
deer.

At any rate lots of yotes are taken with the 22 mag. In theory it has plenty out to 125 yards. I know, I know its "not enough gun" but it works and works well.

kenpo,being that you are mostly calling red fox in,i think i would be happy with what you are using.A while back i seen where cci came out with some new ammo,i don't remember the grains or ballistics on it.I know it traveled a lot faster than anything else on the market for the 22mag.and it might work better on coyotes.

I choose to use the Remington 33 grain V-max, mainly because they shoot real well out of my gun.
The Winchester Supreme 34 grain JHP and 40 grain JHP are supposed to have a little less energy at 100 yards compared to the Remington's as well.
I think if I were going to go for head shots I'd use a FMJ bullet. But, then that would deplete my already limited shot selection because I would not take a frontal or side shot with a FMJ round.

I don't like head shots unless the animal is really close and standing still. The head is a fair sized target, but the brain is pretty small.

Hit him in the boiler room and he will die, almost certainly within a couple of minutes. Even if you gut shoot him he probably won't last more than a few hours. Shoot off a leg and it may not even slow him down for more than a couple of weeks.

Miss a head shot just a little and you can leave some pretty horrible results. If you don't hit the brain you can leave some of the worst (not immediately fatal) wounds it's possible to inflict. I would rather shoot off a leg or gut shoot an animal than shoot off an animal's jaw, snout, or his eyes. Those type wounds leave an animal in pain and almost surely sentence it to die a miserable death from starvation maybe a week or so later.

Better A .22 Mag. than a .17 HMR.
I've been using PMC JSPs(5.99 a box). 1.2" groups @ 100 yards with a cheap 4x chinese scope on my 80s vintage Marlin 25M.
No yotes yet but a bunch of Jacks. One shot at 100+ yards went from front shoulder to opposite hind leg, complete pass through on a large Jack. The wound channel looked more like what you would see on deer with traditional big game bullets. It looked like the bullet expanded but didn't fragment. Entrance wound was smallish about caliber size and exit was about the sise of a quarter.

Give me a bit of time and i'll let you know how it performs on coyotes.

Richard

Last edited:
For ammo I'd try the new ballistic tip cci is making.I've always liked there maxi-mag +v ammo and the tnt but I bet there new load with the plastic tip is a hot load.

I have a couple of spots that are limited to 22 rimfire.
We have good luck using 22 mag's with Federal 50gr HP's. Keep your shots under 100 yards and use your shooting sticks. Lip squeek and get the coyote to look at you, put the crosshairs just under the chin........works good no traking. It is all about shot placement....

know your rifle and know your limitaions....Kelly

Last edited:
I have no problem using a .22mag for coyotes, I keep my shots under 75 yards and shoot them in the chest. Most go down on the spot. During the archery season here in Tennessee a rimfire is the only kind of rifle we can use. I use a Ruger 77 with a Clark custom 22mag barrel and Winchester Super X 40gr JHP

Quote:
Better A .22 Mag. than a .17 HMR.

I'll second that. I know plently has been said about the HMR already but I have to add my 2 cents and Ill be quiet. lol! I recently bought a 17 HMR. Had to see for my self what all the hoopla was about. It is very accurate. Fun to shoot targets with. Great for sniping the starlings in my yard and around the barn. I took it groundhog hunting the other day and never felt so undergunned though. Haven't used it enough to form a definite opinion, but what little I did see told me I'd never use it on coyotes unless it was the only thing I had. After using it, hearing that some people use it on coyotes really cracks me up. It is a squirrel gun.

I have a swinging 3/4 inch thick steel shooting gong out in my pasture that I shoot at. .223 and .204 will penetrate about 1/2 way with HPs. (It is mild steel. I have some harder plate to relace it.) I wasn't expecting the 17 to do much but I figured it would at least scratch it. If I hadn't just sprayed paint on it you wouldn't have been able to tell I had been shooting at it with the 17. Didn't even move it. lol! In it's defense, I suppose this would be a desireable characteristic when shooting around buildings and other things you were concerned about damaging.

The 22 mag was a much better performer on groundhogs but I don't care for it on groundhogs either to be honest. If restricted to rimfires for coyotes it could be pressed into service. Much better choice than the 17HMR I believe. I wouldn't use any rimfire if I had the option of using any centerfire. A runner ruins my day. It's going to happen with a centerfire occasionally but more regularly with a rimfire in normal calling situations. If you have to use a rimfire though, there isn't much you can do I suppose.

Good hunting

I agree with Curt about not shooting coyotes with a rimfire.They Just don't have the energy for consistant kills.But as far as the small varmints(rockchucks,praire dogs,jack rabbits etc.)That little 17 HMR with the 17 grain vmax has impressed the hell out of me from 0 to out past a 100 yrds.I have had a ball with mine......

Good Hunting Chad

Quote:

We have good luck using 22 mag's with Federal 50gr HP's.

Ahh yes, I'd like to use those 50 gr feds but my groups really opened up with them. Same with the 33 gr. My rifle shoots real accurate with the 40 gr jhp's, and that seems to be about it.

Quote:
I have no problem using a .22mag for coyotes, I keep my shots under 75 yards and shoot them in the chest. Most go down on the spot. During the archery season here in Tennessee a rimfire is the only kind of rifle we can use. I use a Ruger 77 with a Clark custom 22mag barrel and Winchester Super X 40gr JHP

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif Awesome! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif You're using the exact ammo (Winny superx 40 gr jhps) that my rifle is the most accurate with. Not to mention sounds as if the 22 mag is 'enough gun' for you, so as most things, I guess it depends on the operator. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Thanks for the info guys. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I'll admit, 22 Mag not the best choice. But I use it too. Took a few last year. But I at least have the benifit of a 20 guage below it. Dad pasted down the old NEFA 22 mag with 20 guage over / under. Cleaned it up put a Red Head scope from Bass Pro on it.

Main thing I learned so far. DO NOT use a bare hollow point!!! I used the CCI TNT's and they tend to knuckle ball about a god 3" or better(up, down, left, right, where ever) @ or around 50-75 yards. Found some new loads that are really nice CCI GAMEPOINT's 40 Gram lead filled hollows. Travel really nice. Havn't shot at a yote yet with these, but the dang Coons that get in my trash can sure seem to flop over nicely from them.

Back