.257 STW

illun

I've been looking into the .257 the last couple months for a long range antelope/deer gun. What I want is a gun that shoots a smaller bullet faster, about 90-110 grains at 3500+ fps. Most people would gasp at the notion of trying to kill deer with 100 gr bullets, but my old man has killed 40+ deer in his life with mostly a 125 gr. 30-06 bullets. Most people I've talked to reccomend 150 gr. bullets for deer, but the old man says he's blown huge holes in muley's with his 125's several times. I'm not big on larger calibers, not that I'm a panzy they just seem like a pain in the butt to shoot and it takes away from the pleasure of shooting a gun.

So.........I've been looking at the .257 and .264's for the best ballistics. What I found(not actually found but heard of because it's nearly impossible to get your hands on one) is the .257 STW. It is a 7mm necked down to a .257. The ballistics are amazing and I am searching for one as we speak. If anyone else knows about this caliber I would like to know more and if you know where one is let me know as well.

I have a 257 STW. Its in a Remington SS action, Shilen SS barrel, and a forest camo McMillan stock. I shoot 115 Nosler BT or partition bullets with RL 22 powder. I'm not going to say its the best cartridge for deer, but I've taken more than a few with it. The 257 STW is hard on barrels, but if you only use it for hunting it will last for years and years. I've seen 3900 with 100 grain BT's and over 3650 with 115's. Good luck whatever you do.

Illun, Look here for a little info.

http://www.2joutfitters.com/STWrifle.htm

Ive hunted a couple times with the Ferguson's and they Do know there stuff. The pic in my avatar was taken on a ranch in Mexico that he outfits.
He will custom build you one and it will no doubt drive tacks but, it'll take some serious out of your wallet too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Dont hesitate to contact Jimmy Sr. or Jr. anytime as they will be happy to give you the skinny. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Dave

Quote:
What I found(not actually found but heard of because it's nearly impossible to get your hands on one) is the .257 STW. It is a 7mm necked down to a .257. The ballistics are amazing and I am searching for one as we speak. If anyone else knows about this caliber I would like to know more and if you know where one is let me know as well.

If memory serves me correctly, the .257 STW (Shooting Times Westerner) is based on the 7mm STW case, which is our old friend the 8mm Remington magnum, necked down to 7mm with no other changes. As mentioned earlier, they do have a reputation for being hard on barrels. You'll likely need to have the rifle custom built, the 257 STW has been chambered in a few production rifles from what I've heard, but it hasn't been a mainstream offering. A .257 Weatherby would be another, and more readily available option.

what ranges are you wanting to shoot? how about a 6.5 gibbs? a 129 gr bullet at 3400+ fps, with a 2500+ round barrel life, the 123 gr scenar (bc of .485) would be a screamer. the tamale is a great LR cartridge as is the 257 Allen Mag, but barrel life isn't long.. If long range is your game go with a larger caliber and shoot a heavy for caliber high bc bullet. BC will outrun velocity every time.
RR

A less expensive alternative is the 25-06AI. It certainly will not give you the speed you are looking for but it is alot easier to run a reamer into a 25-06 barrel than a expensive 257STW custom job with low barrel life.

Ananchroism has made a good point as well. If you have the "need" for speed the 257 Weatherby comes closer to your speed requirements.

Hog

Keep in mind that even though your shooting a 25 caliber 90 thru 115 grain bullet your still touching off an 8mm Rem mag case full of powder. Recoil is still going to be stiff.

I've got a friend that shoots both the 7mm STW and the 300 Rem ultra-mag and have to agree that BC usually beats speed also.

You might look into the 6.5/284 for a long range gun with reasonable recoil. Not so fast but very accurate and good barrel life and a great long range caliber.

thanks everyone.

I know b.c. will beat velocity, but I want to minimize kick as much as possible(usully done with a smaller caliber) and then make up for it what I can with velocity. I live in open country so long shots are very possible, but it's more of a "feel like I made a good purchase because the caliber I chose has the capability" sort of a thing. Just want to have a mainstay deer gun that fits my wants of shooting long range accurately with a minimum recoil. It's always nice to be able to have to hold over an animal less if the situation calls for hold over.

If you want to go the STW route, the 6.5 is hands down the better way to fly...

Dont get me wrong, I absolutely love .257" bores, but there BC's are pretty crappy compared to 6.5 cal..

You'll be able to shoot 140g high BC target/hunting bullets and it will be ballistically better then any .257"...

As much as I like .257" and want a 257 STW, It would be a much better route to take the 6.5 option for ballistics alone.. They have much better selection of high BC bullets..

However, it depends on how far you want to shoot antelope/deer. What kinda deer?? Big muleys/whitetails or what??

I know the standard 25-06 will kill antelope/deer to 600 yards with 115g NBT's at 3100-3200fps. For now, its my favorite deer caliber.. I"ve shot 1 buck at 604 and 1 antelope at 550, each took 1 shot and each went no further then 25 yards and piled up, I"ve also shot numerous deer and coyotes in the 400-500 range..I shoot and practice A LOT from 400-800 yards on steel, so as long as your capable, the 25-06 in an accurate rifle and a good bullet is more then capable to 600 yards...

The 25-06 AI would also be another good route to take, but you really need a 26" tube to take advantage of it, so it might be better suited to a semi custom type rifle, IMO.

I dont like Weatherby's so I would skip out on the .257 WM.

if your going to use holdover, it would be hard to beat a 7mm STW, barrel life is in the 1500 round range and using holdover to 500 yds is pretty simple. then if you want to dial just take an accurate 7 STW and put a good LR scope on it with repeatable turrets and 1K isn't out of the question.
To make the .257 bores med game rifles to 1K you need custom bullets and a fast twist. even then a 277 Allen Mag with a 195 gr wildcat will shoot circles around the tomale at 1K, and have much better case life
RR

I agree, the 6.5 STW is much more worthwhile. If you want a .25, the 257 Roy is nothing to sneeze at. I still have a custom 6mm-06 that I've yet to toy with.......Anyone who considers a 6mm with today's bullets "marginal" for deer or 'lopes, can't shoot.......

Quote:
What is a 257 ROY? Is that another name for weatherby?

Yes. "Roy" is gun guy shorthand for Roy Weatherby. Weatherby is a too long of a word to type. Like "grasshopper".

Now that you have al this information to deal with consider this.
The 257 STW is no more expensive to build than the standard 25-06. The dies cost more as does any wildcat, brass is about the same or so close pennies don't seem to count. It will stomp an 25-06 AI into the ground as well as the 257 WBY. Loading data is available for all weights of 25 caliber bullets. There are more of these rifles around than one might think, I've built at least 20 of them and own one myself. If you want a super fast 25 the 257 STW will fit the bill.
I have shot some 3 shot groups that were at and under 3/8" using Sierra 100 grain match kings with RL 22 powder.
With the right bullet it will kill any animal in the lower 48 other than the big bears, that you can't hunt anyway.
9 years ago, I killed a 6X6 bull elk at 513 yards with mine, he went to the ground in seconds and never tried to get up.

I still think it's a lot more powder for a little more perfomance. BC's of .257 bullets have never been much to write home about. 6.5's are FAR better. The 6.5 would have it all over the 257 at longer ranges........

You reach the point of diminishing returns. You can't draw a line at any specific point but the bigger case you use, the more powder and barrel life you burn. If you are willing to cut barrel life in half for another 150fps, go for it.
It is a personal choice and there is no wrong answer, but you do need to understand the choice you are making.

Jack

Back