Cougar baiting

Cougars are not typically "scroungers" ......

That said cougars are being found in dumpsters more and more these days. Likely, it's the push on resources as cats rebound and even occuppy non-typical catscape!

So it boils down to what kind of cougar you yearn for.

If a huge tom is what you seek then it's own kills are the logical choice.

But if it's a specific cat ..... one that's killing livestock or your dogs and kitty cats ...... then baiting makes much sense. Just bait with what it is killing there.

Three 44s

Welcome Ed! I enjoyed your website. I'll have to contact you about Washington Turkeys next year!

Not alot written about baiting Cougars. I suppose it's legal since they fail to mention it in the regs. I've only read one discussion on it, and that was quite obscure. It wasn't here and I don't remember where it was. (I've spent DOZENS of HOURS reading old posts here and on a heap of other forum sites on Cougar hunting.)

Let me know what you find out!

Edit: What three44's said. They don't eat tainted meat, only fresh, so there are some logistics involved.

I'd sure be careful what time of year you choose to bait a cougar. If it falls even close to bear season I wouldn't want to get caught within a mile of a bait pile. My take is cougars like live stuff like the neighbors goat staked out. I've been told that even if you disturb a hidden cougar kill they will abandon it. Most of all cougars like eating cougars or cats. A friend shot a cougar but was unable to locate it by dark. Upon returning he found it partially eaten with cougar tracks all around it.

Here is a pix of the cat I have in mind. Not a garbage can cat at all. I have three piux of him so far this spring for the same cmera location. On another board I had read (and seen pix) of baiting cougar and bobcat using quail hanging in bushes about shoulder height. Any ideas on that one?

5-2-7Cougardaycropped2small.jpg

Looks like a nice mature cat! The times and dates on the photos, have you been able to pattern him, or was it all one event (one or two days?)

2 more months and you can grab a partner and call him! I'd volunteer, but I've got a full schedule until late September and will only be able to hunt the thick here locally. Beautiful cat! Hope you peg him!

rainshadow1

Have just the three pix up to now. The camera is up so maybe I'll get some more to establish some kind of pattern.

I looked at your web site...very nice stuff there. Maybe we could do a trade it you were interested in a turkey call.

I lived in Sequim & Port Angeles in the late 70's. Nice area but I understand it has changed a lot since my time there. Killed a nice female cougar just south of Sequim while I was there.

Ed

A fellow who used to post here several years ago, had trail cam pics of a cougar eating on a road killed deer that he placed in a spot the cat frequented. If I remember correctly, most photos were at night though. After placing road killed deer at known cougar crossings, he found that cougars would often eat on the road killed carcass. He believed the fresh meat only theory until he did his own investigation.

I've personally talked to people who caught cougars in the headlights feeding on roadkilled deer next to the road. I've followed tracks that led back to their old kills that were no longer fresh, but the cat ate what it could.

While cougars may not scavenge like coyotes and bears, to say they will not eat anything but fresh meat is probably not the case.

Nice cat there Ed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif In case anyone is wondering Ed makes a good talkin' turkey call. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Back