"TT" Custom Skinning Knives - The first ones...

Tony....nice work....I have made a few knives myself and have used Green River knife blanks . You can get them at Buckskinner Rendezvous . They are excellent carbon steel , take and hold razor edges , and don't cost much. The one I like is called a perring knife blank .They make several different styles of blanks up to long ,curved skinners . The perring blade is narrow and about three inches of blade and generous tang to shape as you want. I am going to Prarrie du Chein , Wis. for the big Rendezvous this weekend...could pick you up a couple to try . ..... SM /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

GC, I'll have to research the RC on the 440C. It's definately hard stuff and put a world of hurt on my equipment. I made sure I didn't pick up any of 440A and 440B. That's the stuff that most commercial companies label as "440" and has given stainless knives a bad name. This grade of 440C is whats used in high end kitchen cutlery. I looked at the D2, but fear that I won't even be able to shape the tang on my belt sander. That stuff is seriously hard.

Spiderman, if you find a deal on a couple pairing knife blades at the Rendezvous, let me know. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif I've got a couple stainless ones coming in the mail this weekend. That design looks like the ticket for detail skinning work on feet and faces.

Satch, PM me an idea of what kind of knife you are looking for. You never know what I might come up with.

Thanks all.

Tony

Well heat treated 440C is a very servicable blade steel. 440C used to be the darling of the custom knife makers because it is easy enough to work, holds a decent edge, takes a bright polish, and resist tarnishing. 440A and B are pretty much junk. The same relationship exist between 420HC and 420J. Buck Knives, Queen/Schatt & Morgan, and many other quality knife companies use quality 420HC and it does a decent job. 420J is J for JUNK. Kinda the same progression with AUS6A and AUS8A. 6A is not so hot, 8A pretty fair stainless steel. Buyers should educate themselves some because it is easy to get confused with the numbers. Anyway, 440C ain't bad... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Hey TT nice work...

Put me down as well on the waiting list, I need one to go with the laynard o' Tebbe calls on my lanyard /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Let me know when the time gets close and we will discuss handle materials..

Later my friend!

Nice work! I didn't know you were so talented. Okay, I did know how talented you are. It just seemed an easy thing to type. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I really like those!!
I keep telling myself that I'm going to start skinning my own, one of these days. I'll be watching for when some come up for sale!

Back