savage 24F-12

robcarnahan

It looks very interesting, thinking of getting one in .223/12. I was wondering what kind of accuracy they are capable of on the rifle side? And if the choke tube is fixed or can be screwed out?

Thanks

I have a lot of experience with one Savage 24F
.223/12. Most of my experience was posted on Predator Masters and if you do a search I am very sure you'll see a lot of posts on the topic of my 24F experience.

I thought that gun would be a great one for me for the conditions I hunt in. I bought one new and it came with a scope mount that is supposed to "attach" to a flat plate on the right side of the receiver. Bought a scope, had it professionally mounted, and found that it had very good accuracy with the .223. When I shot the shotgun barrel however it threw the point of aim of the rifle off by about 6 inches when I shot again with the .223. Thought it was the scope, put on another one and found the same problem.

I contacted Savage. The first person I talked to said I was not supposed to put a scope on that gun. When I asked why they included a mount with the gun she said I should send it in. They had it for about a month and when I got it back it had the same problem. Contacted B-Square, who made the original mount, and they made me a custom mount for it but messed up the holes. I was done with the gun. Got a Tikka .223 T3 Light instead.

It's a long story for sure. My advice is that if you DO NOT plan on putting a scope on it they are great guns. There are ways to affix the mount to the gun with JB Weld, etc. but I really don't think a person should have to fiddle around to that extent.

Moostrot

I have used a 24F in 223/12ga. for close to 20 years with a Williams guideline sight never had a problem with scope loosing center with see thru mounts Locktite on everthing . I do not remember who made the two piece see thrus.. Love it.. Only wish is that it was 1:9 or less instead of 1:14 so best to use 55gr or less.. 12 ga chokes same as remington 870 internals. Came with mod dhoke. I put a turkey choke for tighter pattern.. at distance. it will shoot 2 3/4 or 3" so plenty of options.

my 24f is about 5 yr old has weaver mount that came with the gun. I put on bushnell 1.5x4.5 scope and have had no problems with accuracy 1.25" is common with rem premier 50gn loads, win 45gn coyote loads actually group better at 1". The 12ga patterns fair when using mossberg turky choke with federal 3"mag 4buck. The shotgun pattern is only about 6" low at 40yds. I was using an accudot but the shotgun pattern was about 18"low with this set up, soI changed scope. The only problem now is manipulating the barrel selector switch with gloves on, the scope eyepiece is kind of in the road. Overall I like the outfit although I have a friend who has the IHZ 12/308, hammerless, double triggers and no piont of impact problems. the IHZ might be the better of the 2

BStanley
You can shim the barrels to make the point of impact the same with either barrel. I always started with a piece of shim stock about the thickness of a nickel. Put it between the barrels about midpoint. It bends the rifle tube up slightly, thus causing poi to shift down. the higher it is the thicker the shim you need. Its the same basic principle as the adjustments on the valmet/tikka 412's.
RR

Back