NEF/H&R rifles vs. other single-shots

PlainsRedneckOK

I'm kinda interested in buying one of the NEF/H&R rifles, but I'm not sure what the price of one of these would be and/or whether or not that price is fair for the quality of the gun. I want to know, specifically from those who have had experience with these rifles, whether or not one of these would be a good buy, and how they compare to other brands of single-shots in terms of the $-to-quality ratio. I'm wanting a gun that will serve dual purpose as a deer/predator rifle, mostly for deer though. I'm wanting something like a .25-06, .260, .270., .280, or 7mm-08. Could you all tell me whether or not one of these guns will be able to last a long time and handle the pressures these calibers generate for years to come? Thanks ahead and I'd appreciate any/all feedback.

I'd recommend the 7-08 of your choices.

I have a 243 win and a 20ga nef slugger both on the same frame.

you should expect to pay about $200 for the gun.

It will last and is very worth the money.

I was having problems with my 243 Win with the case not ejecting. I called NEF/H&R told them my problem, they asked for the gun, I sent it in, and 4 weeks later the problem and a few other "minor" things were fixed. I was pleased.

IMO they are quality guns with a good warrenty, if you need it, for the price you pay.

I know others who have had them and are also quite pleased with them.

If your planning on keeping the fur the dual purpose rounds will not serve you well even the lowly 243 will shred more furs than not. Though the big thing with a handi is that you don't need a dual purpose round, extra barrels are not very expensive. Get yourself a deer barrel 25-06, 270, 280 what ever floats your boat and then get a 204 ruger barrel for coyotes (personal preference), then you will be set up.

If you want only one gun the Stevens 200 in 7-08 or 25-06 is probably the way to go the Stevens is a solid competator econo-line of guns.

There is a 7-08 barrel for a handi but I do belive it is only available through the accessory barrel program.

I have Handis/Ultras in all of those, 3 of the 270s and two of the 280s, one 280 Improved, all shoot very well. All of the cartridges you mentioned are available except the 260 which isn't....yet! The 7mm-08 Handi is available in youth and full size as a rifle as well as an accessory barrel.

If you want more info on Handis or each chambering, check out the GBO NEF/H&R Centerfire forum, there's more info there on em than anywhere else, many, many owners. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Tim

http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php/board,126.0.html

http://rrarms.com/catalog.php?prod=GSB2708

I have a Handi reciever with a .223 and .270 Barrel fitted. Great lil gun, will shoot as well as anyone in reality needs (And Sub MOA for Paper lovers) with either caliber. they have a few bugs, but for the $ it's a Great dependable gun. For a hair over $100 you can send it in and get whatever other barrels you want. or you can buy them used and fit yourself easy enough. I also have a .17 HMR and looking at a .243.. And looking for a 7.62x39 Barrel. I Like'em. ~Ace~

I just traded my .243 Handi in to finance a Stevens 200 in 243. I know some guys are lucky and get a Handi that shoots, but when I traded mine in at the local goose Mt. they asked what kinda groups I was getting. I told them 1 and a 1/2". They said, "wow, you must have gotten a good one, most Handis that get traded in are around 3-4".
NEF's customer service is good, but unfortunately I'd rather have not had to find out (original barrel wouldn't lock up tight).
Save your time/frustration and spend $90 more on a Stevens.

It's all about what you want and it's purpose. I have both stevens 200 and NEF, they both have their own purpose and both are plenty accurate. My NEF is for PD shooting, and I must say it does a great job. I like that it's a single shot, and a heavy barrel. Gun doesn't get as hot. It also makes me take more carefull shots and keeps me from blowing through to much ammo.

I'd say they are worth their price, but they do have some quirks. As mentioned, sometimes they don't like to eject brass. Most feel this is due to a rough and/or dirty chamber and it's been fixed by cleaning then polishing the chamber.
I owned a 20 gauge Ultra Slugger and a .243 rifle and never had any problems. They were stepping stones to me and I upgraded to nicer stuff later.
I'm thinking of getting a 500 S&W rifle for deer here in Indiana. If I do I'll go with an Encore because barrels don't have to be custom fit to each receiver, I've never heard of ejection/extraction issues with them, I believe it'll be lighter than a NEF, and I can get it in stainless.

"Most" rifles that get traded in usually DO have something wrong with them, usually they don't shoot well. Common sense. That goes for any brand.

I too thought about a 500 S&W NEF, but when I got to looking at the ballistics and the fact it would be a rifle, a rifle caliber made more sense to me. Though it would be cool, even thought about a 35 Whelen NEF.

Too late on the 35 Whelen unless you can find one somewhere, they quit making them earlier this year due to incompatabilities with Remington ammo and poor chamber specs, probably more the latter, it's no longer available as a rifle or accessory barrel.

I just hosted a parrie dog hunt for the guys off of graybeards NEF sight last week.I saw a lot of handi rifles in several different cal. that shot very well.Out of the 22 guys that were there they had alot of info on what they had done to make them shoot moa and then others had done nothing with them except find the right ammo. They were hitting out to 400yrds pritty concistant.
Boone

Quote:
Ace, do you have a brother?

Wouldn't happen to live on the eastern shore of Maryland would he? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Back