Jim River Guide Svc - Willie Dvorak

Hidalgo

Is anybody using Jim River Guide Svc this year?

I'm booked with Willie in July, was just wondering what his production had been so far. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

I was with Willie today. Very windy 20 - 35 mph but lots of P dogs. Four shooters and about 200 round each. Will try another place tomorrow and Friday. Will post a review with details next week after the drive home if anyone is interested.

Quote:
I Will post a review with details next week after the drive home if anyone is interested.

We're always interested. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Just wanted to have a brief word with someone who had used him already this year. Get in touch with me after you get back home, if you would. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Second day we experienced 50 mph winds and rain... This weather sucks out here right now. Tomorrow should be much better and Willie promises a very full day of hunting.

Quick third day report with Willie. Hunted all day and saw more dogs than you can count. Weather was perfect and we each shot around 300 rounds. Could have stayed out longer but too tird. I would re-book without a doubt.

I can vouch for the fact that Willie runs a top notch outfit and outside of being able to control the weather, he will show you more shooting than your eyeballs can take.

va_ken.....thanks for the reports. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I didn't doubt Willie's reputation, just wanted to hear a current update.

This is a summary of my hunt with Willie this past week. A buddy and I set out from VA to SD on a car trip to hunt with Willie on a 3 day P dog and coyote hunt. Being groundhog hunters used to targets of limited number, we fired as many rounds as we wanted to as we spotted for each other and watched the dogs. I know lots of guys shoot many more rounds than we did, but we were completely satisfied with the round count. The weather was a factor as the Pierre area has received more rain this spring than the last 5 years. Many of Willie's dog towns were inaccessible due to the wet conditions and his concern to not tear up the landowner's fields or get his vehicle stuck.

Guns used were Rem 700 20" Tactical in .223 with Leupold 6.5X20, Browning A-Bolt with 26" carbon barrel in 22-250 with Burris 8X32, Remington 700 light varmint stainless synthetic fluted in .204 with Zeiss 6X20 and Sako Varmint in 6PPC with Zeiss 6X20. All ammo was hand loaded. Additional gear included Leica range finder and Zeiss binoculars. Two .17 HMR rifles were taken, but the wind conditions of day 1 provided only a few shots and they were not taken on day 3 since we had plenty of center fire ammo on hand.

First day weather was warm with 20 to 35 mph cross wind. Setup provided about a potential 550 yard distance. Between the 4 rifles and 2 shooters, approximately 400 rounds were fired with about 100 dogs killed. Furtherest kill was 485 yards with the 204. Plenty of dogs but less than desirable shooting conditions.

Second day was a rain out with high winds and tornado warnings. Even Willie cant control the weather!

Third day was by far the best. Temp in the 70's and wind 5 - 20 mph. Dogs so numerous that no way you could even began to count them. About 550 rounds fired from the 4 guns mentioned above with the longest kill at 500 yards.

Longer ranges could be worked out if cattle and roads were taken into consideration of shooting positions.

Caliber observations give the advantage to the .204 and 22-240 with flat trajectory and wind bucking abilities. The .204 with a 32 gr V-Max over W748 was devastating and exploded many dogs. The 22-250 was loaded with Sierra 52 gr moly match bullets and certainly made clean kills. The .223 was loaded with the same bullets as the 22-250 and the range seemed to be best in the 300 yard area. The 6PPC was loaded with Sierra 70 gr match and was deadly to 300 yards but did not produce such dramatic effects due to the bullet choice, as well as the moly match bullets in .223 and 22-250. When proper windage was figured out and dialed in, all calibers made kills at 400 plus.

In summary, Willie offers a good hunt from a local motel, provides plenty of ice, drinks and sandwich makings for lunch and an excellent local restaurant high-end evening meal. His equipment is top notch and without issues. A side note to our hunt is that due to the weather, no time was available for any coyote stands. We were booked for 2 hunters and Willie said he would take as many as 4, so other hunters may be added to our hunt. The first day there were 4 hunters and the next 2 days, there were 6 hunters which put 2 hunters driving their own vehicle. The coyote hunt did not happen, which was due to the weather on day 2 and more hunters in the group than planned.

Hope this info was of some value to others and I would be happy to answer any questions.

I really appreciate the info and update. I have a shoot booked with Willie in July...can't wait to get out there. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I was in the Pierre area hunting a week or so ago. Weather was not as usual. Rain and storms. Only got to shoot one day but it was good shooting. What does Willie charge?

Wow Willie ain't cheap. I'm in the wrong biz I can guarantee you that. At those prices I think I owe my sister about $10000 this year already. Good luck and hope the weather is good for ya. I have no clue why you would be embarassed to bring a cowboy hat.....its SoDak what do you think they where they wear there sombreros ?

Last edited:
Quote:
.....its SoDak what do you think they where they wear there sombreros ?

Not yet...but wait a few years until the "immigrants" get more prolific. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Back