Help Needed w/ Positive ID on 220 Swift

stormking

As as posted Sat. eve. I purchased a FN bolt action rifle chambered in 220 Swift this weekend. After looking at a "blue book" with the fella who handles my transfers, I'm confused. According to his references FN never imported a rifle chambered in 220 Swift.

Here's what I can tell you:
1) The bbl reads: "cal 220 S" (it also bears 4 stamps stacked - little r w/* above, big R w/ crown above, PV w/ "griffen" above, and ELG inside oval w/ crown on top and star below in oval as well)
2) The rcvr reads: "Fab Nat D'Armes Herstal-Belgique"
3) The bolt/rcvr/bbl all have matching serial numbers(5digit numeric)
4) It sets on a Browning stock w/ buttpad that reads "Browning Automatic FN"
5) I've seen it's twin in 30.06 for sale on gunbroker listed as "Browning FN Mauser" ad claimed it was approx. 40yrs old.

I'll post some pics tomorrow. Any input would be appreciated.

I may be mistaken but in the 50's there where all sorts of rifles being built on FN mauser actions, some commercially and some not, it might be possible that this gun was put together by some smith who got the action, and sometime down the road was put into the browning stock. in any event you have one of the best mauser actions ever made, soak that bad boy in wipeout a couple times and take it to the range and let us know what happens

Steve,

This is exactly what my FFL thought, until I told him all 3 components have matching serial #'s. Then, he didn't think that was the case. We have a theory that I could've been purchased in Europe and brought over. I'm hoping someone on here would know if FN offered this rifle in Europe chambered in 220 Swift.

I'm taking it into town tomorrow to have a fella that used to import European shotguns have a look.

I'm working on getting all the copper out of the bbl and will let her burn some powder later this week. Will definitely let you all know how it shoots.

well what would be keeping it from being a browning?? didn't browning label some rifles that where FN actions like the Safaris I believe where FN's, is the bolt release look like a regular mauser or is it different??

I'm going with the FN Mauser Sporter Deluxe listed in the Blue book with a Browning restock. Does the barrel have sights, and how long is it? The Big "R"/crown and ELG oval proof marks are in the Blue book too as Belgian proofs. Regardless, that's a nice piece.

Rick L.

Probably a pre Safari Grade Browning rifle. I have a couple of them. Same as the action used by Browning. They were chambered in a variety of calibers. Most likely for import to the US. I have a .300 Savage, .35 Remington, 9.3X62 Mauser, and a .250-300 Savage.
Nice rifles, but not much in demand here. Now if it was a Browning in .220 Swift, that is another story. Yes, they were chambered in .220 and other "odd" calibers. Most of these were Safari grade rifles. I collect the Browning bolt rifles and have never seen a non-standard chambering in a Medallion or Olympian Grade.
Use it and enjoy,
Jeff

Had a fella look at it today that knows imported arms. It is a Browning, pre-Safari. Said in all his years he had seen about 20 of these, never one chambered in the 220 Swift.

I shot 6rds through it today w/ the original K4 Weaver scope. Only loads I could find were Hornady 40gr Moly Vmax. It was all over the paper at 35yds. Could've been the loads, more likely the antiquated scope. Gonna pull the scope from my .243 and see if I can get it to shoot. Probably ought to track someone down w/ a borescope that knows what they're doing and have a peek down the barrel. If it's smoked, I'll store it till I have some $ saved up and send it Dan Carey's way for a new pipe.

Thanks for all your input.

Quote:
I would not do anything till I had it borescoped.

Jack

Good advice. It might have xx years of copper build up. Back in the day when they used 48 gr bullets to get their 4000fps velocity the copper fouling was horrible.

We didn't have all the excellent solvents we have today.

Best wishes, Bill

I spent over 3 hours mopping the bore w/ Sweets and soaking for 15min at a time then dry patching. The last couple times the 1st dry patch came out w/ just a faint hint of blue. Pretty sure I've removed the majority of copper.

Back