Calling Stations

trappnman

Thanks for the info on the calls. I am going with a Sceery's call, and will go from there. My primary focus will be coyotes, and have some questions. 1) How far apart do you make your stands? How far does a call reach out? I realize that it would vary with the terrain, weather conditions, etc- but in general terms. Do you want your call areas to overlap? Do you try to cover all of your calling area when choosing stands, or do you separate the locations by several miles- assuming that the cover area is consistent?
2) How often can you call an area? Every other day, once a week, once a month? If I had a regular route, how often could I call it and have success?(assuming that the coyote population is there) Could I run this "route" regularly for say 4-6 weeks and have continued success- or would I have to continually be finding fresh areas (I know, I know- depends how badly I spook em!!!)
What type of success does a good caller have? What percentage of stands produce? Does a good caller with a good coyote population get coyotes most days out? Now that I have found this forum, I will be picking your brains on calling info, so thanks in advance trappnman

------------------
Your American heritage- Fur Trapping, Hunting and Fishing

Well Trappnman, pickin brains is what this board is for.So I'm gonna give you a few opinions of mine.Though you'll probibally get some that tell you just the oppisite.
In Order:
1) It depends on the terrain and wind direction. I've called in a yote, killed it,moved over the hill maybe 300 yds. and called in another.So all in all you answered your own question it depends.
2)Once again it depends If a coyote sees you or is shot at it'll be a long time before he comes back to the same area, to the same call.That kind of stuff sticks in their memory pretty good.But I've called up diffrent coyotes in the same spot several times.If you don't have any luck in a spot one day thart dosen't mean the you won't have luck there on a diffrent day or even later the same day.So once again it depends.
3)Success,kind of a tricky subject.I have had weeks where I couldn't get in a coyote and days where I couldn't help but have em come running.No I dont get coyotes every time I go out and I don't think many people in here do.If so they're doing a great job or just have alot of luck,maybe both.I think if every time I went I killed a coyote it wouldn't be much fun after awhile.Thats just the way I see it,I like the challenge I learn more from the ones that get away, than the ones that I kill.
So all in all I suggest you just go out and try it,yes this board is full of good hunters and good information.But I can tell you step by step how to shoot, but going out and doing it you'll learn alot more.
Just my 2 cents worth(maybe a dime).

Later,
Justin

I think Jbrad gave you some great advice and pretty much summed it up.One thing I know I keep in my mind at each of my stands is that I EXPECT to call a coyote in.Do I call one every stand? No, but you have got to have the confidence that at anytime mr. coyotee is going to come a runnin...
smile.gif
Just my opinion though

Thanks for the replys. I know that success varys, but was curious as to if a "good" caller can expect to be successful(defined as seeing yotes) more days than not. My other question is do you call at different spots on a regular basis, or do you have a series of favorites stands that produce on a regular basis? trappnman

------------------

i am a firm believer of not over calling an area.you need to have access to lots of land and rotate stands every other week.here in the thickets of new york distances between stands can range from 300 yards to 1/2 mile.i also believe that when you make a distress calling sound and theres a coyote within hearing distance,you will have his attention.weather he comes into shooting range is a whole different story.there is so many reasons why a coyote dosn't come in to your call but in alot of cases he dose come in and bust you long before you see him.

------------------
wolf_howl_md_wht.gif

Just to address how far a call will reach, just about 10 feet short of twice as far as what you would think possible, coyotes have unbelievable hearing, you will prove this to your self many times

1) How far apart do you make your stands?

The key here is to have your coyote bunches located. You call one bunch and move to the next. Distance between stands will depend on distances between coyote groups. If you cannot locate your coyotes, the distance between stands will depend on how far sound is carrying and how far you think these bunches are apart. Asa general rule (inside joke there) of thumb, I move at least 1/2 mile depending on how sound is carrying.

How far does a call reach out? - Tm

Many times farther than coyotes will respond. Depends on which call (rabbit call vs. howler) and how far sound is traveling.

I realize that it would vary with the terrain, weather conditions, etc- but in general terms. Tm

Maybe 1 mile for a rabbit call on a calm day but it's rare that coyotes will respond that far. Generally you have to move closer to them.

Do you want your call areas to overlap? - Tm

Not really!

Do you try to cover all of your calling area when choosing stands, or do you separate the locations by several miles- assuming that the cover area is consistent? - Tm

Again, if you have your coyotes located, base your decision on that. If I think that there is coyotes in the area, I usually start on the edge and move towards them 1/2 mile at a time.

2) How often can you call an area? Every other day, once a week, once a month? - Tm

Depends on if I am recreational calling or ADC calling. If I am recreationally calling, once a year. I like to see new country. If I am doing ADC work, until I get the offending coyotes.

If I had a regular route, how often could I call it and have success?(assuming that the coyote population is there) Could I run this "route" regularly for say 4-6 weeks and have continued success- or would I have to continually be finding fresh areas - Tm

That would depend on the time of year, if you were calling during the dispersal times, once a month would probably work fine. You can call new coyotes the next day but I would get bored of seeing the same country.

What type of success does a good caller have? What percentage of stands produce? - Tm

Good question, here is my own personal goals. I want to call and kill over 50% of the coyotes that I see. I want to produce coyotes on at least 1/3 of the call stands that I make. I want to kill at least 75% of the coyotes that respond to my calls. I want to kill at least 90% of the stationary coyotes that I shoot at. Those are my personal goals and with a little bit of luck, I can usually achieve them or at least come close.

Does a good caller with a good coyote population get coyotes most days out? - Tm

Yes!

Now that I have found this forum, I will be picking your brains on calling info, so thanks in advance trappnman

Trappnman, between all your questions on trapperman and here, I am going to make you buy supper. LOL! Wiley E

Some real good advice- and thanks to this forum I have made a contact for some how-to in the field. One other question- do you feel that "unseen" reponses to your calls, coyotes that you don't overly disturb, create spooked or call shy coyotes? In other words, does the simple fact that a coyote comes in to a call, sees you and leaves make him less likely to respond in the future? One thing to keep in mind- the calling presuure in my area is zero. I doubt if many coyotes in this area have ever heard a call. Now Wiley, you have to admit that in between the questions, I have given you a few answers here and there LOL

------------------

Back