15 lb. Ohio groundhog

My good friend Dave Kessler from Ostrander, Ohio shot this mammoth groundhog several years ago. Hog weighed 15 lbs. and would not fit in a 5 gallon bucket. Dave is 67 yrs old and has hunted groundhogs his entire life; this being the largest one he has ever harvested.

Dave's rifle of choice is a Stolle Kodiak single shot switch barrel, Kelbly HBR stock, Jewell 6 oz. trigger, 24" Kreiger #5.5 taper barrel chambered in 17 Little Nasty (PPC -.180" short). 25 gr Berger match bullet on top of 21.2 grs of XMR 2015 travelling at 4120 fps. This mammoth GH was anchored at 367 yds. as the groundhog was feeding in an alfalfa field. Yes, that is a yard stick pictured for reference and the red rifle weighs 11 lbs. Dave uses his 17 LN barrel for hogs out to 400 yds., and switches to a 6mm Ack Imp or 6BR for long range hogs out to 600+ yds.

Dave's taxidermist will be doing a full body mount. Rifle was built by Kelbly's and is a laser beam ! I own 3 rifles chambered in 17 LN and all you have to do is set the cross-hairs where you want to place the bullet. Since there are no groundhogs in Louisiana, I use my 17LN rifles to shoot crows, coyotes, jackrabbits, and coy-dogs. The round on top the groundhog is a 17 Little Nasty - cute isn't it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif.

cajun blake {
1bighog1.jpg

Sweet rifle!!!!!!!

Thats the biggest daaaamn chuck I've ever seen, good lord he musta been eating his wheaties every day of his life, ha ha ha!! That little 17 looks so small...Nice shot as well.

Now that is a dandy whistler! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif I have shot some 12 and 13 pound pigs, and can imagin what one 2 pounds heavier looks like in person. Hey how about PMing me the particulars on that little nasty. Maybe a reamer print if you have one at hand. I have a Stolle Teddy here that can't seem to make it to the bench matches these days. Maybe it is destined to be a hog popper. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif Keep whackin' those big old suckers buddy.

Back