Little Help

WIshrpshooter

So im helping coach a little league team this year and the head coach has some farm land. THis farm land also holds coyotes. And this time of year all the fawns are being dropped, so he wants me to come over adn try and take care of some coyotes. The land that he has is marsh, some hard woods and alfalfa feilds. This is the best i can do for a diagram. Im looking for any tips on how to set up, and what to use for calls. I have a fx5, and a few hand calls. Any advice is appreciated

Marsh Marsh hardwoods alfalfa
Marsh Marsh alfalfa alfalfa

Marsh Marsh alfalfa alfa /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gifa

Fresh cut alfalfa can = dead coyotes. I never seen a marsh or hardwoods in the Mojave, Sonoran or Chihuahuan deserts. What are they, do they bite?

Sharpshooter.

Golly, I don’t know what to say other than those hayfields are a great place to kill coyote. If a moderator on this board and also the Foxpro board ( I see you have an fx5) can only come up with a watch out for the Marshs’ they bite, I hope somewill jump in and maybe give you some help. After all that’s what you asked for in the first place. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Dennis

Quote:
Sharpshooter.

Golly, I don’t know what to say other than those hayfields are a great place to kill coyote. If a moderator on this board and also the Foxpro board ( I see you have an fx5) can only come up with a watch out for the Marshs’ they bite, I hope somewill jump in and maybe give you some help. After all that’s what you asked for in the first place. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Dennis

And your post was in assistance to his topic how? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

My first post was an indication of what I think would be a good setup to kill those coyote, since sitting in the marsh water is not a real good alternative. My second post was a dream that someone would actually jump in to help answer the question. What's your opinion on getting it done? I assume you have one?

Dennis

Actually I don't . If i did, I would have offered it. No marshes, hardwoods, or alfalfa around my neck of the scorched earth.

Quote:
My second post was a dream that someone would actually jump in to help answer the question.

Quote:
If a moderator on this board and also the Foxpro board ( I see you have an fx5) can only come up with a watch out for the Marshs’ they bite, I hope somewill jump in and maybe give you some help. After all that’s what you asked for in the first place.

I hardly consider that a dream. More like you showing your back side.

Work the wind first. Find an ideal shooting lane that will work and toss the call out in front 30-50 yards or more--whatever the terrain allows for. If you are shotgunning keep the call much closer. Keep an eye on the call and let it do it's job.

Don't worry too much about finding the "perfect" stand on the terrain. Pay mind to the fundamentals, wind, sun, and cover then start calling.

what Bronco Glenn said. Find an area way in the back. hunt it before daylight. were you would find a smaller area for them to cross the alfalfa and the edge of the marsh they would feel safer use the wind and good luck. Rick

play pup indistress lower volume. that's if you are summer time hunting. lightning jack or lucky bird later.

Last edited:
What would you use for a calling sequence. My distress call will prolly be a fawn distress being as the fawns are being dropped now up here. But should i start with a howl or something different. ANY ADVICE!!!???

coyote pup distress. Rodent sound's. i use a call like this for Howl's and pup distress killer sound's. smaller critter call's will do great. Rick

P1000089.jpg

Well just graduated Sunday, so tom. morning before work im gonna go give it a go while everyone else is in school. I think the set up will be ok.

WOODS- x alfalfa-o Marsh-m ME-P FX5/decoy-F

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm xxxxxx oooooooooooooooooooox
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm xxxxxx ooooooooFooooooooooox
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm xxxxxPPoooooooooooooooooooox
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I love those antler calls Rick. VERY NICE work you do Sir.

Paul

Ok, so the hunt didnt go very well. We didnt call anything in and the setup that was used was shown on the diagram above. Im thinking next time i might move to the other side of the alfalfa feild because there is a corn feild and a bean feild i could watch over to, SOund good?? We did have a little fun though, there was a lone doe standing prolly 300 yards away so i decided to see if we could get her to come in. I turned on the fawn bawl on the foxpro and she came on a dead sprint. She then did 15-20 circles around the call before she left. I wish i would have had a video camera because it was really cool to see.

As said before, any advice is greatly appreciated!!!
Thanks,
Paul

I suspect the local coyotes [mostly] hang in the hardwoods during the day light hrs. They [most likely], hunt the marsh edge's & crop fields, during the night & early & late pm hrs[dim light].
-------------------
Daytime;

Focus, on the timber patch's, as thats where they'll [most likely] be during the daytime.
------------------------
Early am, or late pm;

Some of the coyotes, will still be hunting. So focus around the crop fields & marsh edges. Make sure you & your wingman can see well, 180 degree's. Don't sit on top of a rise. Have a backdrop behind you. Move your eye's before you move your head. If you have to move. Move very slowly & "scan" the area around you, before you move.

Set one shooter near-by the e-caller. Set the other shooter down & crosswind a 100yrds or so.

Otherwise, [sit back to back] say 20' apart...e-caller in the center. So you both can visually cover 360 dgerees. Signal your wingman, you see one coming useing a lip-squeek. Have him/her do the same. No whispering or talking.

Last edited:
Back