Your Best Bowkill ?

redeyeddawg

Anyone care to post a pic of their best bowkill and the story behind it? I'm most interested in whitetails but for kicks let's throw in the mulies, elk, bear, turkey etc.

I was sitting in a tripod over looking a secluded feeding area,watching does and a small buck.They all snapped to attention in my direction about the time I heard a twig snap behind me.I looked over my shoulder just in time to see a unique set of antlers duck under the cross brace on my tripod,yep he was directly under me.He moved on out in front and ran the little buck out of the field.He stopped all proud and worked a scrape ,then proceeded to pick out a sexy doe.He ran her right past me and I let fly the arrow at 7 yards.The buck circled about 80 yards and dropped.what a rush.He doesn't score to well but the likelihood of me taking another buck with his antler configuration is slim.
bow_buck_2000.jpg

here is the buck of my dreams for three years /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif. in 98 i shot his buddy the first day of bow hunting. while the 98 buck was my biggest buck to that point {he grossed 167"}i was bummed because this one stayed just out of range.
in 99 i missed him at 15 yrds /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif. this was his biggest year he was much taller this year. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
i saw him and could have shot him in rifle season but wanted him with my bow so i let him walk. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif
in 2000 i took everyone in my hunting party to him and let everyone have a chance at him before myself. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif
on the 16th of Sept it was my chance and i connected /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif. he scored 178 6/8" gross and net 174 6/8" net n.t. P&Y
311769.jpg

wish i'd find another buck that filled my dreams as much as he did.
looking at the picture makes me sad not about the buck but i sure miss that bow. she was my girl friend for many years /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif
here is the 98 buck after the velvet was removed net 157 6/8 P&Y /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif now they are back together on my wall /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
447764.jpg

Last edited:
Here is my best bow kill. It is a 215 gross 210 net nontypical muley shot in 2005. I was actully hoping to get a buck that was hanging with this guy as I thought it would be bigger. This guy offered me a shot first and I couldn't turn him down. It ended up he scores better any way. I found the other bucks sheds and he ended up grossing 190 non-typical. I severely under judged the one I shot and over judged the other one. I think his short G4's threw me off. His mass is awesome and he has 15 scoreable points.
793IMG_0155.jpg

793IMG_0150-1.jpg

Here is the guy I originally was after. We put him on the cover of our 2007 calendar that we make.

436IMG_0072.jpg

CLB

now clb knows how to get my hopes up for the year.
maybe someday i'll see a buck like that but it aint happened yet. there is always tomarrow except once

I have taken more then my share of deer with my bow . I even killed some really good one's.
But I would still have to say this public land rag horn 4 point was my best deer. It was my first deer I ever still hunted up on and killed in his bed at 18 yards. there has been deer stalked and killed after him but he was my first and boy I was proud. as for his small rack , well i guess i was to raped up in the hunt to worry about how he would score /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif
scan-1.jpg

Last edited:
My best bowkill was this 8 pointer last year. He scored 130.
Heres the story:
It was the second saturday of this past years bowhunting season. Opening weekend i had seen this guy but he stayed out in the thick stuff around 30 yards away. So after opening morning i moved my stand 25 yards toward where i saw him, and i waited until the next saturday to go back. At 6:30 i saw a small spot of orange coming through the woods, so i stood up and realized it was a fox, and he was coming right under my stand. I pulled back and picked an opening in the thickets and as soon as i saw orange i fired. I hit the fox and it took off but it left behind the best scent killer ever. Real fox piss. I was 18 ft. up and i could smell this, it was terrible. At around 7:00 i was just standing up to stretch the legs and i saw a big deer moving along the fence line. SO i stood up the rest of the way and got my bow ready. He came right to me but all i had was a quartering toward me shot. I took it and placed it just behind the shoulder. Right after he took off i saw something out of the corner of my eye. It was another really nice buck, but i let him go. We stumbled up on my buck along a woods line because there wasnt a very good blood trail to follow. The shot was perfect for the situation but the guts just plugged the exit hole leaving very little blood.

Im convinced that fox piss is what got me this buck. He had no idea i was there. Not even when i pulled back and he was 13 yards away did he know i was there. [image]Picture 072.jpg[/image]

I shot this Impala Ram in March this year.

I used a Slick Trick 125gr broad head.

Use a Bowtech Allegiance 80# with Carbon Express Maxima arrows weight is 580gr.

P1150181.jpg

He went down after a 30 yard death run.

P1150188.jpg

Gerhard

This was my first deer taken with a bow, four years ago. It was a lot of fun hunting with a bow.
I've always hunted with guns and shot a few elk and deer, to feed my family over the years. GENE'O

010_7ASmall.jpg

009_6ASmall.jpg

Quote:
Sweet rig Gerhard.
How do you like the slick tricks? I have heard lots of good things about them.

This is what the Slick Tricks did.

I used a magnum blade.

P1150191.jpg

P1150195.jpg

P1150196.jpg

P1150197.jpg

P1150216.jpg

Slick Tricks are awesome broad heads.

Just replace the blades and they are good as new.

Gerhard

Well, I can't compete with you western boys and them big mulies, but I will share my two best bowkills from here in Iowa.

First was in 2001, and was shot at about 28 yards with about 2-3 minutes of shooting light left. I have shot a lot of nice bucks from this same tree, but this one is the biggest.

Second buck was this past season. I was sitting in the stand bummed out thinking about the last time I was in this particular tree and had stuck a large buck that I never found. I had never had any luck on this farm, and thought I used it all up on a buck I didn't kill, when this one came along. I was eating a sandwhich when he came over a knoll to my right at about 10:00 in the morning.

I had little time to waste, so I sat the sandwhich down, stood up, drew back, and shot him all in about 6-7 seconds. He was about 8 yards away for the shot and I hit him through the liver and the opposite side lung. I was pretty bummed about the shot as I watched him run off.

He went about 80 yards and layed down, where I watched him for two hours before he got up and went behind a brush pile. I left the tree and came back just before dark to find him lying right there behind the brush pile.

1111.jpg

2222copy.jpg

that IS one sweet whitetail great job you might fish for smallies but you hunt for biggin's
oops /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif i guess thats TWO sweet whitetails

Last edited:
thats one beauti whitetail Fishforsmallies. I never seen a buck that big. Thoughs are huge muleys too CLB. Hell I'd be proud with any deer that i shot with a bow. I'm going to buy a crossbow soon for this fall. Bow season is open for almost 3 months in ontario. I'll be waiting for that big buck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks for the compliments guys. When it comes to whitetail hunting, I'm pretty lucky to live in Iowa and get to hunt as much as I do.

I will most likely never get to stick a big mulie buck, but I do enjoy seeing the pics you western guys have of your trophys. Must be quite a thrill to stalk a big buck and kill him. All of my deer are taken from tree stands. Its a lot of fun of course, but it doesn't take quite the same skills as you need to spot and stalk a deer in the west. I am envious of you folks out there.

Back