Butt stock of choice for an AR-15?

RKR

I am building a AR-15 for a calling rifle. It will be a 24" .204 with a scope (flat top or EOP). I have seen a lot of stock options and I did a search and found some post about the ACE stocks.
I am interested to know what you AR owners think about your stock (pro's and con's) and what you would get if you could have any butt stock you wanted and why. also I am interested to hear the pro's and con's of adjustable vs fixed position but stocks for a calling rifle.

Thank's for your input!! Rod

I just finished building mine, The adjustable stock is great for portability but not very steady, in some models a fixed stock gives better stability. The ACE skeliton is a compromise between lite wt and stability and it is advertised as the strongest on the market (if that means any thing to you) I ended up with a standard A2 stock but I am going to have to find some way to lengthen it some as it is about an inch to short for my ape arms. The reason I went with it was the trap door compartment, a GI cleaning kit fits in it and I can wt it some if I need to My 24" heavy barrel is a bit front heavy. But you are building this rifle for yourself,you need to build it the way YOU want, and to fit YOU.
See if you can try several rifles with the differanttypes of stocks your interested in, see what fits you as far as lenght and wt and just general feel. Shoot them if you can, just to see how they feel under recoil. And some adjustable stocks are more steady than others, so do not rule them out yet. I am starting my second build I have it planed out except the stock I do want an adjustable but am undecided between the Viltor, the Mag-Pul CTR, and the ACE Socom. I am planning my build to be in 458 Socom it is a very hard recoiling round so I do not want any thing that will collapse on me.But I do want the portability of a collapsing stock.

I love my stock, it is great on a cold day, it has the perfect cheek weld for me, its a tad lighter and it looks cool as heck. The Ace skeleton stock is my stock of choice for my calling gun which is this DPMS sweet 16.
January92005002-1.jpg

I also am building a 204 ruger with a 24" sst fluted barrel but I think I am going to have an A2 stock on this one.

Good luck,
Rus

I like my traditional A-2 buttstock to help balance the heavy 24" bull barrel. The others I have held seemed to tip forward too much with the lighter Ace and collapsables. I think they are ideal for the shorter barrels like the one Radd4 showed.

I just built up an AR with a D-Tech 20" fluted Oly SUM barrel and an EOTech. I used the ACE skeleton stock and it balances nicely. With no mag, the balance point is right at the float tube/front takedown pin junction. It's 9.0 lbs. empty. I haven't tried any other stocks besides the A2 and ACE, but I like what I ended up with. You also have the option of no but pad, .5 inch and 1 inch, so it's soemwhat adjustable for length.

I have 4 ARs, three with the standard solid stock and one with a 6 position collapsible stock that is on my field/calling rifle.

I like the collapsible stock for use with a change in the thickness of the clothing I wear and it is lighter to carry. I have no problem with 'looseness' in the collapsible, it's as solid as the others.

It's also handier to haul in the truck.

My RRA 18" EOP wears a standard A2 stock. I'm 5'10", 190# w/ short arms for even for my stature. This is my first AR and it the LOP felt VERY short. I added a 1" extension ring (DPMS mfg I believe)between the upper and buttstock and a 1" extended butt pad. With both, the LOP was long, but with just the ring, perfect for me.

Blinddog, you might need both if you've got "ape arms". I've gotta a buttpad extension I'll cut you a deal on if you're interested.

Quote:
It looks like it is on backwards. Do you have it like that for a reason?

I have mine on "backwards", too. I get enough eye relief that way, and it gives more clearance for the charging handle. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Model 1 mount "reversed"

I also modified it by milling away that useless square block they leave on the back (front actually) ring/base junction. It ended up being a nice mount for having $65 invested. Nikon Monarch 4-12 AO.

I tried it the other way around, but everything looked really small through the scope. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

I like Magpul products, so I would say the CTR or the PRS. The PRS stock will definately add some weight to your rifle.
The CTR stock is very solid compared to the 6 position stocks.

Here is one on my DPMS LR 308.
170464f53bd65a7f.jpg

CTR on my light AR15
__photoAttachment_nP8Aq2yv__400_-1.jpg

The ACE is the coolest looking stock and will for sure decrease the weight of the gun to carry from stand to stand. Personally though people worry way to much about the weight issue, 1 pound isn't going to make a heck of a lot of difference, unless you get lost ad are starving for 3-4 days then the weight can be problematic. But they will make the gun look really sweet.

Quote:
The ACE is the coolest looking stock and will for sure decrease the weight of the gun to carry from stand to stand. Personally though people worry way to much about the weight issue, 1 pound isn't going to make a heck of a lot of difference, unless you get lost ad are starving for 3-4 days then the weight can be problematic. But they will make the gun look really sweet.

I sure hope that if you are lost, with an AR-15, you are
not starving! Even what ever was left of a red squirrel
would taste pretty good after a few days without food!
Coyote chops, or breast of magpie, would become a treat!
I do agree that being concerned about the weight difference
of an ACE stock, versus a 6 position, or even an A2, is
like worrying about flatulence in a hurricane. Now what
fits one better, or matches ones purpose better, or just
plain looks "cool", is an entirely different matter.

I have a 6 pos. collapsible on my carbine, and that makes
a great calling rifle for brush hunting. I have an A2
on my RRA Varminter, and I can get it to shoot tiny groups.
But I really would like a COOL cheek piece adjustable
looking one someday! The groups probably won't shrink much,
but I will look /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif on the shooting bench.

Squeeze

Quote:
Radd, it that an Armalite mount? It looks like it is on backwards. Do you have it like that for a reason?

I have answered this questions so many times, yes some people would consider it backwards...I however like it that way because it gives me the eye relief I like, and I prefer
the base screws on that side.

There is no backwards when it comes to mounts on an AR as long as it works.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Last edited:
Radd,

You and I are starting a trend. Next AR pic posted, I'll ask "Isn't your mount on backwards?". You back me up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I'm with you brother.....
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Except don't just ask anyone, start with those who asked "isn't your mount on backwards"
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Back