Cooper Rifles

JMac

Looking for someone shooting a Cooper rifle to talk about accuracy. They have very pretty test targets they send with the gun using their own handloads, but what about "real" ammo? Do these guns do well with factory fodder? :rolleyes:

No idea about factory ammo, but I've seen plenty of Cooper's shoot plenty good with handloads. I think they are a pretty good way to go, for out-of-the-box accuracy. More expensive than a Remchester, but not nearly as expensive as a full custom.

Edited so it would make sense /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif .

- DAA

I have two Cooper Montana Varminters - one in 17 Remington and one in 20 Tactical. All I have ever shot through mine are handloads, but both guns are very accurate. In addition, the wood and the actions, etc. on both guns are very well done. For the money, they are hard to beat in a semi-custom rifle - IMHO.

I have a Cooper 22 in 22br. Had it for several years. With the preferred loads it will better the factory test target by quite a bit. This rifle shoots most anything well, but is exceptional with the right loads.
Barry

Per Cooper, the test targets are shot from 40 yards indoors. They are capable os shooting as well as 1/2 MOA. Dan is very approachable and easy to talk to. He even answered the phone when I called the first time. They are very nice rifles but they could benefit from a few of the accurizing tricks the BR shooters use. I don't believe my 21 was bedded. I'm pretty sure the stock was not properly torqued being that it comes with standard (flat head) screws. The trigger comes tuned to a very nice 2.5# approx. I believe it can be adjusted to 1 1/2#.

I think one could realistically milk 1/2 to 1/3 MOA out of one. Cooper will also give you the recipie for the load used in the test target. However, I think you should still tweak it a little to get the best out of your specific stick.

All in all, they are nice rifles and considering the $900 - $1000 price to get into the game they are considerably less expensive than other customs. They definately shoot better than any Remington, Savage or Sako I've shot out of the box.

Man, I live for the day I get my first Cooper Varminter. I actually drool over the ones I have
handled. Cooper gives us what we want, they don't decide what we want. I especially like
that. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Cal:

Good point on Dan trying to give customers what they want. For the money, Coopers are hard to beat for a SEMI-CUSTOM varmint type rifle. They are not advertised as benchrest rifles, so buyers shouldn't expect a bench rest quality rifle with all the extras that go into one for the money one pays for a Cooper.

A good qualty bench rest custom built rifle will and should cost considerably more than any semi-custom rifle around because of the extras done to make it shoot one hole groups. However, for their purpose, a Cooper will outshoot most people's ability to hold it and squeeze the trigger.

I have owned several full custom bench rest rifles that I paid considerably more for than my 2 Coopers. They were designed to allow me to possibly be good enough at the wheel to shoot one hole grous at 100 yards. With all of their refinements, most of the time I couldn't do my part.

In shooting PD's, at least in my world, I don't worry about which hair on them I hit - just that I hit them effectively at the ranges I shoot at them from. For that purpose, Dan give everyone their money's worth. And, if a Cooper doesn't shoot to an individual's expectations the first time, the Cooper folks work pretty hard at making it right.

When you compare the price of a Cooper with the standard off the shelf - not semi-custom - rifle that the majors turn out today in the US, their guns should sell for about $125.00 in comparison to a Cooper.

I've always been fairly impressed with Cooper rifles, always thought they were darn good looking, and the ones I've seen have all shot pretty darn good too. Not as good as my full customs, as has been mentioned, but more than good enough to whack varmints. And, the price just isn't that bad, when you start comparing.

Just the other day though, Cooper did something for a friend of mine, that really shines for me. They went so far above and beyond, that I decided right then and there that's the kind of company I can get behind.

I don't have a Cooper yet, but after what I saw recently, I'm going to.

- DAA

Great feedback guys. I think this is one of the only equipment reviews that hasn't had at least some negative feedback! Yeah they cost a little more than the "regular" guns, but once you modify that gun to your satisfaction, you're up to where the Cooper started! I'm definitely leaning their direction. Thanks for the help /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Back