6.5 WSSM or 6.5 Grendel

Kay9Cop

I've searched the forums and gotten some really good information but, I still have a question. Ballistically speaking, which one is a better cartridge for an AR-15, the 6.5-.243 WSSM or 6.5 Grendel? I intend to use it on the larger end of medium game (caribou, mountain goat, black bear, etc.). I keep most of my shots on game of this type to less than 300 yards but want the ability to go out to 500 yards if I need to for a follow up shot.

Last edited:
If you're looking for energy, the WSSM has the Grendel beat. I'm working on a 6.5 WSSM right now, but I'm not sure that the .25 WSSM wouldn't give it a pretty good run for it's money. The only problem there is the bullet selection for the .25 isn't what the 6.5 is.

The WSSM does have less for magazine capacity, but the bolt is much stronger. I think you will find all kinds of "give and take" between the two.

Thanks for the information, Mr. Milli. The bullet selection is the reason I've already settled on a 6.5. I'm looking to use bullets in the 120 to 140 grain area. The 130 grain Accubonds look pretty good as do the 140 grain Partitions or 130 grain Scirocco 2's for the tougher stuff.

If it were me, I would take the bullets you would like to use and check them with a WSSM case. You will probably have about 2.260" of useable length. If the bullet will fit without having the ojive of the bullet in the case-neck, you'll be good to go.

And welcome to Predator Masters!

For your desired low round count hunting situation the WSSM would be the "better" choice.
Since the difference in cost per round is relatively unimportant and the lesser magazine capacity is a moot point there is no reason for you to go with the Grendel at all.

I own a 6.5 Grendel upper for my AR and it definitely has a purpose. For the type of stuff you mention you are definitely going to want all the stopping power you can stuff into the platform and even though the Grendel is more effective than the 5.56 cartridge it is not even close to the 6.5 WSSM.

Quote:
If you're looking for energy, the WSSM has the Grendel beat. I'm working on a 6.5 WSSM right now, but I'm not sure that the .25 WSSM wouldn't give it a pretty good run for it's money. The only problem there is the bullet selection for the .25 isn't what the 6.5 is.

The WSSM does have less for magazine capacity, but the bolt is much stronger. I think you will find all kinds of "give and take" between the two.

Mike, will you be able to provide dies for the 6.5 WSSM? I would be interested in one if reloading componants will be available.

Back