custom 22-250 barrel contour????????

DONOVAN

my question is that im ordering a 22-250 monday on a 700 action the gsmith has one done in 243 and it weights 6 pds.the action has been skeltonized and bolt ,on bansher stock .i had a light weight rifle before and they get real hot real fast .im not getting this one for the weight it is the way it comes out after he works it i wa nt a medium barrel ,not a bull nor a thin sporter any suggestions on this or pictures or rigs.the barrel lenght will be 22 in either hart or douglas my choice never ordered a full custom and i thought i would pick your brains i have saw some nice rigs on this forum. thought i would ask the experts.thank you donovan

I would opt for a #4 contour. I believe this is the same contour that is used on the Winchester coyote guns. Not to big, not to small.

You will have to check and see what the dimenisons are for the #3 or #4 contours, not all barrel makers are the same.

I just put a Shilen #3 22-250 on my 700 last fall and I just seen yesterday where another barrel maker has the #3 contour with a larger dia. at the muzzle.
My Shilen barrel is just right for me, I use it only for Coyotes and very rarely would I ever have to shoot over 3 shots fast.

The #3 is just a little smaller in dia. than my other factory BDL in the same caliber.

If limited to 22" barrel, I would use a case smaller than a 22-250.

That said, a straight taper from the front of the chamber to the muzzle has pretty much been proven to be the most accurate barrel contour.

It is called an MTU taper. Because it was developed by the Army 'Marksmanship Training Unit'. All custom barrel makers will provide it.

You can make it as heavy or light as you want by specifying the muzzle diameter.

Jack

I am with Jack on the MTU barrel. Most std Rem BDL's have a .650-.665 muzzle dia. Rem's VSSF's are .840. The VSSF's out of the box are not a problem for me to carry around as compared to my 16-lb sniper rifle. I use the .840 as judgement for all others. Tikka HB's are .790 and Steyr Tact rifles are .780. I consider these two to be the best compromise for weight of carry and rate of fire. Unless you are gonna use this rifle for P-Dogs you will not see a high volume of rounds for predators. If you do, call me! I want to go hunting in your area.

Not all makers have the same contour measurements, I just look at muzzle dia. Also, If you are gonna look at custom barrels, don't forget Krieger barrels. They are awesome! Also, for the 22-250, I would go no less than a 24" lenght. You are not gonna tell any difference in weight but you will see a difference in velocity loss with a 22. Fluting is a great option as you can get a heavier barrel for the same amount of weight.

thanks for the info ,the gun i have now just has 23 inch barrell,what will be the diff.between 22 and 24 ,you metioned at least 24.thanks donovan

steve or jack sorry to bother you agian but i just had another question i have a ltr and is fine on weight would you know the contour of that barrel?thanks donovan

With a .22-250, shoot 50 gr. bullets, the difference between 22" and 24" would likely fall somewhere between about 80 fps and 100 fps. I've got both, the biggest difference I notice, is the 22" seems louder. Coyotes don't seem to have noticed any difference /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif .

- DAA

Back