Howa 1500 gun review

sleddogg

Hi Fellow P.M. members,

Its getting to that time of year again, and many members may be considering a new calling rifle, so I'd thought I'd give a quick review of the Howa 1500 in 22-250 cal. I have a Remington 700 in .223, and a Ruger M77RL in .243 also, so I have a feel for what quality is available from other companies. Maybe this will add another option for you.

fb2aee47.jpg

First I'll address accuracy. I have about 3 hundred rounds through the gun, and I never followed a rigid break in proceedure. I cleaned the gun well when it was new, fired 20, cleaned, and clean around every 50 rounds now. Thats it.

I have loaded many different bullets and powder combos, and have 2 nice loads.

Sierra 55 grain SPBT Gameking
35.5 grains VARGET
CCI 250 mag primers
C.O.L. 2.355

Hornady 50 grain SP
35.0 grains IMR 4064
CCI 250 mag primers
C.O.L. 2.350

Here are 2 groups from these bullets @ 100 yds. They are 10 shot groups, fired quickly.

fb2aefdc.jpg

fb2af096.jpg

Its accuracy is good, as I'm shooting a Bushnell 3200 Elite, at only 3x9, and the gun is 100% factory EXCEPT for a trigger job (it needed one!). No bedding, free floating etc. Plus I am an average shot. With more scope power, and a better shooter it would look better than this.

The fit and finish is good overall, bolt function is smooth, and works well. The only odd thing is the mag is a little large, so you can place the bullet to the front or back about a half inch. Still it feed and extracts with 100% reliability. I rank it better than my Remington, Not quite as good as my old Ruger action. Accuracy is better than my Ruger, and about the same as my Remington.
I don't know who makes the stock but it seems sturdier than my Remington. The gun comes to the shoulder well, and gets on target fast. Feels a little shorter length of pull than a Rem., a little longer than my Ruger.

Overall I think considering the low purchase price of 389.00 (plus trigger job)it is worth considering for a calling gun. If I had the money back in my hand, I'd buy it again, if that helps!! I like it alot, and it will be used alot.

Have a good one, Sleddogg

Hello Sleddogg,

Thanks for a really helpful evaluation, something we never have enough of. I also am rather impressed with the Howa, and the CZ as well. I think Howa also made the Weatherby Vanguard and Smith and Wesson rifles as well so they are no strangers to this market. Like many Americans I'm becoming disenchanted with our products, whereas people like the above and Tikka are giving us what we want. More power to them. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Oh god, He's back! Im as patriotic as the next guy. But if Ruger made rifles that consistanly shot as well as the Howa's and Tikka's, more people would likely buy them. I want the best my money can buy. Why spend more to get less just because they are made here. Sounds like it's time for US gun makers to step up to the bar . Better Quality control and more accurate rifles at affordable prices.

I agree crapshoot. If U.S. gunmakers can't get off the porch, they'll never run with the big dogs.
I tried my brother's Tikka last week. awesome gun. Love it. I have several Rugers and one more on the way. I've been lucky , that my Rugers have been shooters. Should I have to rely on luck to get a gun that shoots? I don't think so. My next rifle will be a Sako varmint. A beautiful gun that I can take out of the box and shoot without having to rely on luck.

So beat the drum and wave the flag and insult people, if that turns your crank. It sure don't make the guns shoot any better. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Oh yeah thanks for the report Sleddog, looks like a coyote killer to me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Sleddog, thanks for the review. I've considered a Howa myself and your info was interesting. I hope your rifle serves you well.

Mr. Trasher, Welcome aboard! There's you're BS. I was gonna leave this alone but after 2 consecutive rants, I can no longer hold my tounge (or Fingers).

Trasher, if you did in fact serve this country, thank you. If not, I appreciate your patriotism. I would however offer this: Those who died serving this country did so because of their own sense of duty and patriotism. They did so defending us and other citizens, of numerous countries, so we all could remain free. Free to make our own decisions in our own free society.

I have no idea what you do, where you're from or how old you are. If you choose to hide in anonymity so be it. As for me, I did not serve in the military. Instead I serve four nights a week fighting here, a different war against a different enemy...but a war just the same. I have been doing so for over 9 years and I respect and appreciate anyone who has served and died in a uniform, whether the same or different from the one I wear. As far as I am concerned sleddog and everyone else can spend THEIR legally made money on whatever legal products THEY want.

As far as you, your Marine friend and foreign weapons. Ask your friend about "FN" made AR-15 and M16 parts. You've heard of FN right. Findout how many M249 SAWs are in service in theater right now. How about Benelli shotguns, HK weapons, SIGs, Berettas, Glocks and who knows what else. Are some made here, yeah sure, under contract, with $ going to the foreign company who holds the contract.

If you want to spend 250 more American dollars for an American rifle, that is your right. But it is also every other American (or Canadian, if they are still allowed to own guns) citizens right not too.

ya, what Matt sead....
Thanks Matt.
I couldn't have explained it any better.

If anyone thinks that the USA can survive all on it's own, I would think we would be vary hard off.
Should we hold a grudge for Japan, Maybe, and many other country's as well I would think.
Buy the best you can, what ever it be. You will do everyone a favor in the long run.
If the U.S. company's cant compete so be it.
As consumers we have gotten to the point that we will accept lesser quality as the norm. This will get us in the end.
I guess i'm just saying buy what you like, just don't "preach" to the Masses what they should buy.

Hi Guys,

I'm a working guy with 2 kids in College, and 2 more coming up. I'm on a budget, as many of us are. Just wanted to let regular hunters know that there are other options out there that may work fine as far as rifles go. People should know about good guns at fair prices!

What makes the Howa cool is you buy it, put on a scope, sight it in, and GO HUNTING!!!! No problems, no weird groups, no need for extra gunsmithing and MONEY. I had the trigger touched up, but many would find it O.K. out of the box. I am fussy about my triggers.

Where the gun was made is not a deciding factor for me. It may be for some of us, and thats fine with me. To each his own.

As far as Pe1t Trasher goes, you are entitled to your opinion, and it doesn't bother me. I'm sure you have your reasons for your thought process.
But please, I started the Howa review, so leave others out of it. Mr. Sibley has given me some sound advice, and helpful hints, as he has for others. Until you donate as much knowledge to this board as many of these members have, you ought to pull back on those reins a little......

If anyone has any questions on the Howa let her rip, 'cause I got out to the range again this weekend and the news is all good!!!

Good shooting and hunting!-Sleddogg

Guys,
PT was on suspension for hammering and trashing members before like this. He changed his name to be able to post again.

It is one thing to have your personal opinions on things. There's nothing wrong with that. It's when you keep attacking members over and over for their own personal choices-that gets you gone here.

He had his chances to debate it in another forum with no problems. He didn't want to go that route....

-MP

Yeah, i think that guy is a little psycho. Does anyone know how the howa varmint series shoot?

TONY
No don't tell me they shoot good for a low price! I just spent all of my $$$ on a AR

I got one of those Howa 1500 in the .223rem. Bought my with the brown laminated stock. Stock shouldered nicely. I bought the Howa since I was still in high school. Didn't have to much money to spend. Also put on a Weaver v-16 and a harris bipod. Perfect calling gun. Mine shoots good too.

Mike

Back